Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The occasional bottle- ?

Default The occasional bottle- ?

I have some questions on bottles and where to start. My DF and I are planning on letting his mother babysit for a few hours every once in a while so that we can go to dinner, a movie, play pool, whatever- just have some time together. But I am having lots of confusion around how to go about doing this. I was hoping some of you who have figured out this routine would lend me some tips. These are my questions:

1. DD is 7 weeks now, I plan to start giving one bottle per day (in the evening so DF can feed her) so she can get used to accepting a bottle if need be. But wether the milk is freshly pumped or thawed form frozen, I can't figure out when would be a good time to pump! I don't want to pump in excess to DD's suckling, because I already have oversupply. So when would be a good time to do it? I don't want to have to wake up in the middle of the night while DD's sleeping, but that's the only time it seems like I could do it without increasing my supply.

2. How do you pump in public? Obviously you go to the bathroom, but if you're not at work or something like that, do you just carry a pump in a large purse?? How do you store the milk, or if you are on a date with DF/DH, would you just dump it? Then, how do you clean the pump? Just rinse it with water until you get home?

3. And finally, I need education on the sanitation of pumps and bottles. Is just boiling them enough to clean them? Or do you have to wash them with dishsoap first? If so, do they make gentle soap specifically for baby bottles?

Thanks so much.

Default Re: The occasional bottle- ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    1. DD is 7 weeks now, I plan to start giving one bottle per day (in the evening so DF can feed her) so she can get used to accepting a bottle if need be. But wether the milk is freshly pumped or thawed form frozen, I can't figure out when would be a good time to pump! I don't want to pump in excess to DD's suckling, because I already have oversupply. So when would be a good time to do it? I don't want to have to wake up in the middle of the night while DD's sleeping, but that's the only time it seems like I could do it without increasing my supply.
    Initially, you will have to find a time to pump, and I recommend first thing in the morning, after lo feeds, or last thing at night (then you don't have to wake up in the middle of the night). You will only have to do this until you have a couple bottle's worth of milk in the fridge/freezer. After that, you will just pump when someone else is giving her the bottle, and replace what you used from the fridge/freezer. That shouldn't affect your supply too much, as long as you don't continue to pump before/after your lo eats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka
    2. How do you pump in public? Obviously you go to the bathroom, but if you're not at work or something like that, do you just carry a pump in a large purse?? How do you store the milk, or if you are on a date with DF/DH, would you just dump it? Then, how do you clean the pump? Just rinse it with water until you get home?
    I never use bathrooms...it just grosses me out. I usually pump in my car. I have a blanket that stays in there that I throw over myself if I think there is a possibility that someone might see me. So, I leave my pump in the car, and store it in the cooler that came with my pump...but you can use a small lunchbox with some ice packs in it. If its not too warm in the car (and that's not usually a problem most months here) I don't even rinse my parts...but that is def. not recommended by LLL! You can just rinse with warm water or buy the wipes that medella makes to wipe them down. Or store the parts in the cooler...if they are kept cool, you don't have to wash them every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka
    3. And finally, I need education on the sanitation of pumps and bottles. Is just boiling them enough to clean them? Or do you have to wash them with dishsoap first? If so, do they make gentle soap specifically for baby bottles?
    You will need to wash them with soap first...boiling only sterilizes the parts, it does not remove particles, etc. After dd was about 2 months old, I quit sterilizing every night...and just started sterilizing every week. I used plain old dawn dishsoap, and made sure to rinse extra carefully! Make sure to use a nipple brush to get the parts you can't get to with your hands!

HTH and have fun!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Really helpful- thanks!

Any one else's tips or perspectives would be greatly appreciated!

I tend to pump first thing in the morning because thats when I seem the fullest, and then a little here and there throughout the day after feedings until I have enough, I feed my daughter once right before I leave her and sometimes she Doesn't even need to be fed the entire time I'm gone (of course mine is 7 Months), and It's a great way to be reunited, she sees me and immediatly wants to nurse.
    I too express in the car, It's where I'm most comfortable, I'll either keep it in a lunch bag with ice packs or toss it, depending on if I'm going to need a bottle in the next couple days.

When I introduced a bottle into our lives, My Daughter took a couple days to get used to it, but after she figured it out, once every two weeks was enough to help her remember the bottle and it's purpose.

Good luck and have fun getting out!