Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation.. again.

Default Constipation.. again.

I started my LO (6.5 months old) on solids a few weeks ago.. rice cereal and carrots to be exact and it constipated her pretty bad. I waited until she had normal BM before introducing anything else and for the past 3 days I have given her a jar of baby peas. Today, she's constipated again.. and bleeding.

What should I do??
    I'm a homeschooling, , mom!

4/21/04 9lbs1oz FF due to hospital sabotage
    3/16/07 10lbs3oz FF bc of severe weight loss, lack of support
    11/02/10 7lbs14oz BF , supplemented 3oz formula/day for first 3 months due to supply issues. Now she's on all mommy's milk!

Default Re: Constipation.. again.

blood is not good.

call her ped.

ETA; Sorry I didn't mean for that to be so short. I have two kids who have been refusing to go to bed and I have been listening to one or both of them cry for the past two hours.
    Last edited by @llli*babylove; May 14th, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

DS2 is a bit older, but what has helped him is giving him a baby powdered probiotic mixed into his food.

Maybe for the next food try one of the p foods (peach, pear, plum) and then alternate it with another food to help keep things moving. Avocado is also good to keep things running smoothly.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Thanks. I took her in yesterday and her doctor said to give her karo syrup daily (or every other) or prune juice. Only said prune juice when I questioned her about the karo syrup. I asked if I should just wait on the solids and nurse her for a while longer and she said that she's growing and 'big enough' for solids. What does her outward appearance have anything to do with what is going on internally?? I wish I had a doctor that I could trust. I'm going to get another opinion from another doctor - mainly seeing a new doctor to see if my first impression is still good and thinking of switching. But, from a medical standpoint.. does she NEED solids? At what age is it an issue for a normally healthy baby (other than the 3 ear infections she's already had ) She's 6.5 months, btw. Thanks.

11/02/10 7lbs14oz BF , supplemented 3oz formula/day for first 3 months due to supply issues. Now she's on all mommy's milk!

Outward appearance has pretty much nothing to do with readiness for solids. But a lot of docs are trained to think that by 6 months, a baby should be eating solid foods or else you'll miss the "window of opportunity" and your child will never learn to eat a good diet and will end up anemic to boot. Too bad none of that is true!

My pediatrician would tell you that until a year of age, solids are for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills, and are not nutritionally necessary. So if you want to back off, you should feel free to do so.

I personally would continue with solids, but only give a taste or two per day, and offer only the most non-binding foods, particularly fruits.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mommal. I'm starting to really get frustrated at my doctor, hopefully this other one will be more supportive. We'll see. I think I'll just give her a little bit longer then try fruits as you said. Hopefully that will help her.