Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sucking Noises while Nursing -- Bad latch?

Default Sucking Noises while Nursing -- Bad latch?

My daughter is 1 mo old today and in the last two weeks has started making a sucking noise with her tongue (I can feel it as well) She doesn't always do this. When she's gulping she won't make any noise except swallowing. Her latch seems to be good. No pain, gaining weight, plenty of wet diapers. However her poops arent' regular anymore. No poos for a day then an explosion. Any suggestions?

Amanda

Default Re: Sucking Noises while Nursing -- Bad latch?

Welcome Amanda, and congratulations on your 1-month-old daughter! Is that her big brother holding her in your avatar pic? So cute!

If your daughter were a newborn and making that sucking noise all the time, I would be more concerned about a latch problem. If breastfeeding is going well, you have no pain, she is clearly transferring milk effectively (as proven by her diaper output and good weight gain), then the latch is fine even if it isn't "textbook."

About the poops -- blow-out diapers are very common with young babies, and as an exclusively breastfed baby gets older, she may begin to "store" her poops, having them far less frequently than before.

--Rebecca

Wow, your experience is like a mirror image of mine! My daughter will be 6 weeks tomorrow. She has been making sucking/clicking noises while nursing for the last few weeks, and still does. After reading up on the subject, I've decided that as long as she is gaining weight and seems otherwise happy and healthy, the sucking noises should be ok. Is your baby tongue tied? Mine is, but so far it does not hinder nursing, and it is not painful to me. There is just the sucking noise, which I assume is due to her tongue thing.

The poo thing is totally normal too. My daughter was having 3-5 poos a day for the first two weeks, and then suddenly nothing for 2 or 3 days. But when it came, boy did it come! Now, that is her regular poo schedule.

Thank you both!! I am new to breastfeeding and keep worrying that I'm not doing it right. Her 1 mo appt was yesterday and she went from being born weighing 6 lbs 14 oz to now weighing 9 lbs 6 oz and she's also grown an inch and a qtr. So I guess she's fine. The nurses at the delivery hospital had me worried that if she made noises, I was doing it wrong. Thank you.

As for your questions...Yes, that is my son Aidan holding his baby sister Addison. Thank you, he loves to hold her or kiss her and every time she looks at him he says "See her smile Mom" It's too cute.

No she's not tongue tied. I actually think she's related to Gene Simmons...LOL

Thanks again for the advice!!

Amanda