Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to give daycare

Default What to give daycare

I will be going back to work soon. All of the frozen milk i have is in small volumes.... 1, 1.5, and 2 oz. Its in lansinoh bags. i have 3 questions:

1. Do i just bring the frozen bags in the first day? this maybe be a stupid question but i just dont know if i should actually be giving the milk in bottles all ready to go... with my other child i had my frozen stash in little bottles already.

im going to talk with his teacher about it but thought i would get your ideas first.

2. Also, do you give several bottles each day with the amount you want them or expect them to eat at each feeding or just a total volume in one storage container? Meaning do i take my milk from the previous day and divide it into several bottles for the next day?

3. I have to scald my milk due to lipase. im freezing now but once im working should i just put it in the fridge or freeze it if he will be drinking it the next day? im not sure how much nutrient loss there is from the freeze/thaw vs letting it sit in the fridge and since im already scalding i want to minimize nutirent loss. (i work in a laboratory and have access to a -80).... as im writing this it occurs to me that depending on the supply i get each day I may need to be bringing the milk i pump that day right over to the daycare when i pick up my son so he has it to drink the following day.

Ok, i apologize if that is confusing. I'm starting to get stressed. I truly appreciate any input you have. Thank you!

I dont know what I would do without you llladies!

Default Re: What to give daycare

I personally prepare each bottle separately, b/c my daycare has strict rules on infant feedings. They aren't allowed to prepare bottles in anyway (whether ebm or formula), including any dividing, mixing, or assembly.

If you have frozen all of your stash, then the first day would be all frozen. I would set out the morning before how much you think you will need (averaging 1-1.5 oz per hour of separation), then prepare the bottles however you decide.

I can't help you with the lipase question; I have no experience w/ it. Good luck!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I use frozen milk on the first day of the week and fresh milk from the day before the rest of the week, and scald and freeze the last day of the weeks milk. Then I use the oldest frozen milk on the first day of the following week...

How long does your milk last? Mine is ok for about 36 hours before it starts to get gross, so I don't scald any milk that's not going to be frozen. If there's any left over during the day I mix it into my older daughter's milk at dinner.

I generally prepare the bottles myself, but now that my DCP and I are on the same page with how many bottles and how much, I do bring her slushy/not quite thawed milk in bags along with the bottles on Tuesdays.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Are you planning on only feeding your freezer supply? Do you have to scald if the milk has never been frozen? I would pump fresh milk. And only grab bags of freezer stash to supplement what you have pumped fresh if you aren't hitting the 1-1.5 oz for every hour away. I would leave 3oz bottles.

Way too lazy for formula

I brought over a gallon freezer bag of frozen bags of milk in 3 oz portions. Everyday when I pump I bring that to replace the milk he drank that day. IME my supply begins to drop at about9 months so she ended up using my freezer stash when I couldn't keep up enough.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My milk goes off within a few hours! It is so frustrating. I scald immediately after pumping. I will have my scalding system at my desk at work. Im in NYC the first few days back so I will be toting around not only a pump but also my bottle warmer, ice, thermometer etc. I hate the lipase issue!

So i think I will take out the frozen milk the night before I go, let it start defrosting in the fridge. Take those to the daycare. Then start bringing the freshly expressed/not frozen but scalded milk each day. If I have more than he needs I'll start to freeze the extra.

Does that sound ok?

Thanks

one more thing... my son eats very often and is currently refusing the bottle. We are working on the bottle issue each day. Should I make the volume of his daycare bottles 2 oz instead of 3 to encourage him to eat often/not waste?

I work very close to the daycare so if he is refusing completely I will go over to nurse but eventually I need him to take it... I feel like I have so many issues. I just wish I did not have to go back to work. It feels so unnatural so have to leave him.

I would do 2oz until he's used to a bottle. My DS2 is currently refusing bottles and I'd hate to waste more than necessary.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

thank you to everyone!

hang in there and give him some time to get used to his care givers...
    Sometimes it's hard to figure a baby out and I'm sure they feal the same way.

Have you thought about a cup or dropper?