Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Have any of you used Reglan or Domepridone to increase milk supply?

Default Have any of you used Reglan or Domepridone to increase milk supply?

I've tried everything (Fenugreek, blessed thistle, fennel, goat's rue, shatavari) and nothing really worked. I'm considering Reglan or domepridone but i'm really afraid of the side effects. Especially because Reglan has an A class lawsuit going against it at the moment. What was your experience with any of these meds?

Default Re: Have any of you used Reglan or Domepridone to increase milk supply?

I know a couple of mums on here say they have great success on it but then they never want to wean themselves off of it because their milk supplies drop drastically if they even miss a dose. I myself have never dared because the side effects can have some nasty long term consequences and I don't really want to put another thing in my body that I can't get off of without my milk supply plummeting. Personally I'd avoid it and just go for emptying your breasts as often as you possibly can, even if its in really short periods of time, its the stimulation that'll keep your milk supply up. Also see my relactation thread for natural galactagogues and tips for boosting milk production.
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

I used Reglan and experienced no side-effects aside from increased milk production.

One excellent milk increasing technique I don't see on your list is frequent pumping using a high-quality pump...? In my experience, supplements are nice, but they are no substitute for frequent milk removal using either baby or pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I use domperidone, and I do not think I could have gotten this far (from 4 oz in Jan to 20+ oz in May) without it. I will agree with tarantamom in that I depend on it- however, I have a specific exclusively pumping goal and I am ok with taking it for that long.

Now, I should have probably researched it more, but I was desperate.

I used Reglan and it was awful, but I tell anyone to give it a try. Idk, if you experience side effects, stop taking it Then again I am far from crunchy when it comes to meds.

Agree with mommal about the milk removal. Even if it's just 5 minutes at the pump sometimes. Just get it out as often as you can. Supply and demand.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I used Reglan and experienced no side-effects aside from increased milk production.

One excellent milk increasing technique I don't see on your list is frequent pumping using a high-quality pump...? In my experience, supplements are nice, but they are no substitute for frequent milk removal using either baby or pump.
    That's because I didn't think it was necessary to put items in the list that were in the story, assuming that people that were going to read the list were going to read the story as well. but I did mention how often I remove milk to keep production up.
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

I used reglan and got nothing but a bad case of depression I haven't shaken almost 3 yrs later. But I was pretty high risk and probably shouldn't have been prescribed it in the first place.

Dom is much less risky though.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I use domperidone. I am going to start weaning off it soon as my daughter is 11 months and I was told I could wean (the dom not the baby) at one and see what happens. But you do have to wean very very slowly (10 mg a day - I take 120 mg a day divided into three doses) so its a pia that way. I haven't had any bad side effects
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I used domperidone, because I have a history of bipolar disorder and I did not want to risk the side effects of Reglan. Dom does not cross the blood/ brain barrier so it is very safe as far as psychiatric side effects go.

My milk supply went from next to nothing to oversupply in 48 hours. I took it for a month and weaned off. My supply is still wonderful and my son is almost 4 months old. He is exclusively breastfed, we were able to stop supplementing with formula when he was 2 weeks old! He weighed in at 16 lbs 1 oz the other day. Needless to say I am VERY happy with my domperidone experience!