Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to worry?

Default When to worry?

My DS is 3 1/2 months old. I know it is normal, but the last few days, he is SO distracted. And I know there is another thread about it that was posted recently, and I did read it, but it didn't make me feel much better?

First, he refuses to nurse side-lying anymore. Bah. It was almost the only way we nursed when we were at home, but now I can see as soon as he starts to drift off he jerks himself awake and stops eating. So it seems he's stopping nursing because he is fighting sleep.

But even when we're not side-lying, this little guy is so distracted. I feel like he spends the whole nursing session (which is normally only 5 minutes) trying to get my attention, and if the cat jumps on the bed, or the dryer beeps, a piece of my hair falls in front of his face, forget it. Sometimes he'll come back to it, and sometimes he won't. We have been trying to nurse with as few distractions as possible, but that doesn't even work sometimes. And outside of the house has been a major failure.

His urine output has been pretty normal, I guess. He wears cloth and its kind of hard to tell. He hasn't been pooping, which isn't normal for him, but it wasn't something I was worried about (should I?).

I guess I'm just wondering when I should start worrying about him. He's already pretty small, but at his last appointment (a month ago), he was on track as far as weight gain. I'm just worried that I'm going to bring him for his 4 month appointment in a month, and they're going to tell me he isn't gaining enough, and by then we'll be too far gone. Of course, I've been weighing him with me on our scale (I know, I know), and his weight hasn't changed in awhile, so that's making me more nervous.

I just feel like the distractibility is only going to get worse as he gets older, I'm not sure what to do.

Default Re: When to worry?

This has been me the last few weeks and LO is now getting back to a better nursing ritual. I guess they often go spacey cadet around 4 months

I found a dark room and a rocking chair helped big time as well as white noise playing. I also nursed her when she was dozy, either just waking up from a nap or just about off to sleep. I also find that if I hold her hand it helps her focus for some reason.

I thought too, oh great...nursing is a battle now, but she came back to me just this past week. The whole phase lasted about 3 weeks for me. Now she is just active when nursing, but still gets it done - sometimes a little clownish though at times.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Also keep in mind that around this age, they get really efficient at the breast, and may just not really need to nurse very long. It's hard because you get used to these marathon sessions, so when they decrease down to 3.5 minutes, you're like, "my baby is not eating!" But they are eating. They're just really good at it now!

Keep an eye on those diapers, and if they are good, everything is okay. With cloth, it should be easier to tell, because you can feel if it's wet. You want a minimum of 6-7 wets per day.

Not pooping, even for many days, or even a week, is totally normal for BF'd babies. I remember when Joe first went a couple days between poops, I panicked, but it's just what happens as their digestive systems mature, I think. If the BMs are still soft, they're not constipated, it's just a normal thing.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

A distractible baby can be frustrating...I know, my DS was (still is sometimes) very distractible. I, too, could not really nurse him away from home which was tough on me because he would not take a bottle.

My situation when DS was about 4 months old sounds similar to yours. DS would not do side-lying position anymore either, which I used all the time too. I completely stopped trying once he was able to move because he would just crawl away (sometimes with my nipple still in his mouth and he got his first tooth when he was 4 months old). I still can only do side-lying position before bedtime.

To help my DS, I did similar things as a previous poster mentioned. I had to start nursing him in his dark nursery while rocking in the rocking chair. I also had to put music on. It was about this time that I also really resorted to mostly nursing him to sleep and at night. He would only nurse really well when sleepy. This did eventually lead to more night-waking. DS had been sleeping through the night fairly regularly up to this point, but since he was so darn interested in the new world around him to eat properly during the day, he got hungry at midnight, 3 am, 5 am....you get the picture.

My DS is now 11 months old, and at this point, I can say one of the most challenging things about breastfeeding is that it's constantly changing. Just as you get used to those marathon sessions, they decide that they can be full in 5 minutes. I, too, freaked out about this (and weighed DS on the bathroom scale--still do, even though it stresses me out more than anything). As long as you keep track of the output, you'll know the input is there.

Good luck Momma!

Thank you all so much It is really a huge help to know that I'm not the only person to ever experience this. He seems so happy, and seems very sure of himself when he is finished, so I guess maybe he is just eating much faster. My neighbor just moved and left us a with a white noise machine, so I think we'll try that.

As for the cloth, I can totally feel that its wet, its just that it'll hold a lot of urine. If we are out and about, sometimes it'll be almost 6 hours before he will need to be changed. When we're at home more consistently we do change him more.

His next Dr appointment isn't until next month, and he is already a small baby. I guess I'm worried if I wait until then and his weight gain isn't good, they're going to be trying to talk me into formula.

How small is small? My DS is relatively small, too, and my ped. never mentioned formula. In fact, at his 4 month appt., our ped. recommended starting rice cereal.

For me, having a smaller baby made things related to nursing more stressful--still is with solids. It's especially hard when it seems like all babies around us are so much bigger..........

Well, he was 6 lbs 5 oz when he was born, went home from the hospital just under 6 lbs. Right now though, I'd say he is somewhere between 12 and 13 lbs. Which, I guess seems like a decent gain for him. But we were at our LLL meeting this week, and this girl came over and stood her 11 week old baby next to him, and was like "that's 3.5 months???"..her son was already bigger than him. Of course the LLL leader reminded us that we can't compare babies, but it still made me worry. I'm a first time mom, I'm good at worrying

He has been eating MUCH better today. Hopefully it was a very short phase, but even if its not, I think I got a lot of good techniques of helping him focus and nurse a bit more.

We are so there! I miss the days of whipin out the boob anytime and my LO taking it sweetly...ug now? nooooo i WANT TO PLAY!!

i too was beginning to worry about if he's getting enough as the conditions have to be just so for the session to be a success (whales & ocean sounds are helping a lot!) but i have to believe if he's hungry he'll eat, getting what he needs.

just want to be needed more i guess!!!
    good luck!
    Momma to Gordie Oshkay born 1/6/11.
    He's a love monkey who loves & eats big!
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!