Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help Pump Weaning - LONG (sorry)

Default Need Help Pump Weaning - LONG (sorry)

My son will be 1 year old in 2 weeks -

I work full time M-F 9-5 during which time DS is with my parents.

I pumped 3x's per day from the time he was 3 months (when I went back to work) until he was 10 months.

At about 9 months, he started to sleep though the night (most nights) on his own so I started to pump at 2am to keep my milk up and to relive my own discomfort.

At 10 months, I cut back my pumping to 2x's per work day and still pumped once around 2am.

At that point we had a massive freezer stash and I no longer needed to supply as much milk for him for during my work day.

Last week I stopped pumping at 2am.

This week dropped another work day pumping, so down to once.

He has always nursed on demand 24/7 when we are together. During the week he nurses when he gets up in the morning, after we get home from work and before bed (and still occasionally once during the night). On weekends, he will nurse these same approx. times and also once/twice before naps. He also gets BM in a cup at Grandmas and at home on weekends (in between nursing).

Now for my questions -

1) If I give up all pumping, will my body adjust in regards to the discomfort I feel (always full and still leak!) BUT still allow for him to nurse when he needs to?

2) I think total "daytime weaning" will work for us as he is accustomed to taking BM in a cup. But then will I still be able to nurse him when he gets up in the am, around 7pm after work and before bed (and if necessary during the night)?

I just want to be able to nurse him when he needs/wants but STOP ALL PUMPING!

Please tell me if anyone has done this and how it worked.

Thanks and sorry this is so long

Default Re: Need Help Pump Weaning - LONG (sorry)

my sister worked full time too and pumped for a year and then tapered off. It took her two weeks to dwindle down to no pumping, but her LO weaned at 15 months. Looking back she realized that eliminating the pumping reduced her milk supply and coupled with her baby eating and drinking from a sippy cup weaning happened.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I stopped pumping at a year and had no problems whatsoever. My supply adjusted to be there when I needed it, somehow my boobs even knew when it was saturday . I continued nursing her for another year and she weaned during my pregnancy right around her second birthday. My daughter nursed relatively frequently when we were together and I continued to nurse her mostly on demand until around 19 mos when I night weaned her (again, due to my pregnancy).

The majority of mothers on here pump wean right around a year and have no problems with supply. At that point your supply is well established.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I dropped the pump around 15 months old and still nursed my daughter to sleep and occasionally during the day on the weekends. You'd be surprised what your body can do. There are no rules. Go with what works for you.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

1) If I give up all pumping, will my body adjust in regards to the discomfort I feel (always full and still leak!) BUT still allow for him to nurse when he needs to?
    Yes - gradually decrease the amount of time you're spending doing that last pumping session so your body can adjust to less "demand", then drop pumping all together.

Both times I pumped weaned, there was an adjustment period for a couple of weeks when I'd feel VERY "full" on Mondays after a weekend of on-demand nursing. I would either hand-express a little or use a hand pump JUST long enough to be comfortable but NOT "draining" the breast.

DS1 I pump weaned when he was about 16 mo, then we continued to bf until he weaned at about 33 mo (a little more than 2.5 years old).

DS2 I pump weaned when he was about 14 mo, and are continuing to bf at 20 mo old.

2) I think total "daytime weaning" will work for us as he is accustomed to taking BM in a cup. But then will I still be able to nurse him when he gets up in the am, around 7pm after work and before bed (and if necessary during the night)?
    Yes - at this point your supply is very well established and is pretty resilient when it comes to different nursing patterns throughout the week.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

with PPs. I pump weaned around a year, and I still nurse Joe mornings, evenings, and nights on weekdays, and all day on weekends. After an initial adjustment period, my body just seemed to make milk whenever Joe signaled for it by nursing, rather than based on the time of day. Now I pretty much never get engorged, but still make plenty of milk whenever Joe wants it. It's awesome! It did not affect my supply at night at all, although to be fair, Joe is a very enthusiastic nurser, and always was.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks, everyone - all this info is really helpful!

I just want to be able to nurse my DS whenever he needs/wants but not have to pump anymore now that he doesn't need all the extra milk when I am working.

I hope my body cooperates and allows for this flexibility!

I just wanted to chime in and say that I pump weaned when Lilah was 13 months old and nursed her for another year on demand when with her on weekends and overnight and didn't have any issues.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months