Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mucous and watery poo and other problems...

Default Re: Mucous and watery poo and other problems...

My LO had mucusy greenish poo a lot and persistent diaper rash until I cut out obvious dairy and pork. Does your LO have diaper rash too, or do you have to use cream a lot to keep it away? I don't know about the weight issues, but you might try cutting some things out of your diet to see if the poo looks better. Or, as a short cut you could go crazy on a particular food like dairy and see if it gets much worse the next day .
    Mom to Jemma 5/20/2009 , my high needs baby

24 months and counting

We love to

and did a lot of

It sounds like you're having a tough time

I can't speak to the tongue tie issue, because I don't have any experience with or know much about it. However, I do know that if it turns out to be the case, that can definitely have a negative impact on milk-transfer.

I agree with the previous posters that her low number of wet diapers is alarming, and I'll reiterate that you should definitely seek out breastfeeding support. I didn't have a baby when I lived in the UK, but I'm going to guess that a health visitor might be an option for you. Try calling your GP/local clinic and see what sort of referral you can get. If you don't have any luck with that, then I'd definitely encourage you to seek out a LLL meeting/leader if there's one in your area (I'd actually suggest doing that in addition to whatever other help you might get).

If her diapers have been low for awhile, I'm going to guess that your supply may be low - this could be either a result or a cause of the problems, or both. Do you have access to a pump? If so, I'd start on a pumping regimen in addition to the herbal supplements to try and get your supply back up. Eating oats might also be beneficial.

Is there a time of day when she's less likely to fuss at the breast? Maybe when she's sleepy and/or at night? If so, you might experiment with offering the breast more frequently then. I used to find that I could coax my daughter to nurse, even when she didn't seem to want to, if I walked around with her and bounced her a bit while doing it - a sling might be helpful for this.

Lastly, there's definitely a wide range for "normal" poop. However, if you suspect an intolerance or allergy, I'd encourage you to start an elimination without waiting for the stool sample results. Dairy is the most likely culprit (followed and often accompanied by soy).
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

This link might be helpful for finding support:

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/breastfee...-visitors.aspx
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

My DD has the exact same problems, the could be twins lol. Between 6-8 weeks, she lost an ounce and I had a super low supply. She was going up to 10 days without pooping, low diaper count, ect. We had lots if issues in the beginning, but I though we were doing so good at the time when she was practically starving to death. I switched to EP and used donor milk til I got my supply back up, she gained a pound in less than a week! No one could offer any clue to why she couldn't nurse or even take a bottle well. I finally diagnosed her with a posterior tie, pedis, speech therapists, IBCLC and dentists never found it even when I told them I felt she was TT. She also had a minor lip tie I insisted was clipped, it helped her be able to feed on a bottle more effectively. She finally got the tongue tie clipped last week and has been bottle free since then! Diapers fine, still happy, no pain... I believe the tie is causing all your problems! The ENT said he wouldn't clip it because it couldn't affect BF, but it DOES!!!!!!

As for poop, DD is exactly the same. I think it is a minor dairy intolerance :/ Lately I have been eating more dairy and it got worse. After my dairy stuff is gone, I'm going to try diary free and see if that helps her reflux as well.

Good luck!!!!! Hope you can get her clipped soon, it makes SUCH a difference