Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mucous and watery poo and other problems...

Default Mucous and watery poo and other problems...

DD is nearly 16 weeks and has been having watery mustard coloured poo since about 8 weeks old, sometimes with mucous in (and the very occassional "normal" poo). I have had supply issues which I have managed to resolve with fenugreek/pumping etc, and also have a referal for a possible posterior tongue tie as she does a lot of bobbing on and off/ clicking etc. The referral is not for another month (and we have already been waiting 3 weeks) and I am starting to despair. She is getting increasingly fussy and very windy, and I'm not sure if this is due to poor feeding or intolerance to something in my milk. We have had a stool sample sent off but this also will take 2 weeks for the results to come back. She really doesn't seem to be feeding that well, feeds are down to a few minutes and she almost seems uninterested. She has dropped to the 25th percentile (started on the 75th) which I am not overly concerned about yet as this happened with both my boys. However she only gained 5oz in the last 3.5 weeks which I don't think is great. I am at my wits end. I'll do anything for her and am desperate to keep breastfeeding but just don't know where to start! Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by @llli*jjj100; May 13th, 2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: wrote lb instead of oz

Default Re: Mucous and watery poo and other problems...

Bump. Anyone??

I'm not sure I have much advice, but wanted to offer s!

FWIW, my daughter is 3mos old and I would consider her poop watery as well. However, we have finally progressed away from the bright green and into a more "normal" looking yellowish color.

To know if she's getting enough, how is her output? How many wets in 24hrs? How many dirties?

Mucousy poop *can* be part of a dairy intolerance or sensitivity, as could the increased fussiness. However, there is a wide range of "normal" when it comes to poop!

What does her pedi think? Is he/she concerned about the weight gain?
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Thanks for the reply. Yes the doc is a little concerned. Like I said I had similar weight issues with ds1 and ds2, but they did have normal poo. DD has about 3-4 wet nappies, has a dirty one every 2 days at the mo. Her poo was normal for the first 8 weeks, I'm pretty sure the watery stuff she is producing now is not healthy. We will get the results of the poo sample test in a couple of weeks, meantime my doc told me not to bother doing an ED as it's hard work and a dairy intolerance would *probably* show up in the test. But I'm wondering if I should start now as I know it can take a while to have an effect. DD was up 4 times in the night either in discomfort or to feed (I fed her just in case as I am a little paranoid about supply etc) and I am exhausted. It would break my heart to start giving bottles but I am at my wits end.

to be honest, she needs to be having at least 6 wet diapers a day. that would be my biggest concern. it doesn't seem like she is getting enough milk. how often are you nursing her?

Well she feeds about 5 times during the day and between 1-3 during the night depending. Last night was 3 times probably cos she was fussing and didn't have much in the day. I got AF too today which massively hits my supply so that's yet another thing. I don't know how to get her to feed more? If I feed at 3 hours or less she's not that hungry so how could I fit more feeds in?? I had these same issues with my boys and ended up being forced to supplement which was the beginning of the end for my breastfeeding. I suppose she *could* have 6 wet nappies but they wouldn't be very wet iykwim?

It sounds like to me you need to step up the feedings and offer the breast more often. This will build up your supply as well. How often are you nursing right now? Do you wait until she cries to be fed? Sorry to ask you this, but it seems like you don't have enough wet diapers. Could you try pumping after every nursing session as well?

Do you have a LC you could meet with? They may be able to help you pinpoint some issues and get you back on track and help you with your latching issues.
    Last edited by @llli*caymanali; May 15th, 2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Well I've just started with fenugreek again and I will up the feedings and pump again (I was doing all this a few weeks back but it seems my supply may have dropped again). I wonder if it's to do with her tongue/latch

Is it possible to find a LC on the NHS? I spoke to one over the phone but it is costly to see her. I'm in the uk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jjj100 View Post
    Well she feeds about 5 times during the day and between 1-3 during the night depending. Last night was 3 times probably cos she was fussing and didn't have much in the day. I got AF too today which massively hits my supply so that's yet another thing. I don't know how to get her to feed more? If I feed at 3 hours or less she's not that hungry so how could I fit more feeds in?? I had these same issues with my boys and ended up being forced to supplement which was the beginning of the end for my breastfeeding. I suppose she *could* have 6 wet nappies but they wouldn't be very wet iykwim?
    Yeah, you should have 6 very wet diapers if you are using disposables and more if you are using cloth. I think you need to get to an IBCLC, like yesterday. They will do a weigh before/ after feed and access further. But if you had these same issues with your boys it is probably your supply I hate to say this but the LC might have you supplement again while you work on your supply. It sucks but even LLL says "first feed the baby". She's fussy because she's hungry, mama.