Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn sleeping too much?

Default Newborn sleeping too much?

My LO is just over 1 month old and she wants to sleep for long periods of time. She has been this way since the day she was born and will sleep until we wake her up to feed her. During the day when she is awake for 2-3 hours at a time she will feed several times (every 45 minutes). Currently we wake her every 3 hours if she is asleep and she eats about 120mL (4 oz). We are using breast and bottle so we can measure the times she eats from a bottle. She is producing around 8 deification and 15 urinations per day so it appears like she is getting enough.

Do we need to wake her more, less or is this OK so far? I am always tempted to just let her sleep until she wakes on her own at night but I do not know how long is too long...
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Newborn sleeping too much?

Is your lo gaining and growing okay? That, along with dirty and wet diapers, should be your indicator of whether she is getting enough to eat (although most US doctors use a formula growth chart so it may not be the best indicator all the time). It sounds like she has plenty of wet and dirty diapers and that indicates your supply is good, so if she is growing fine, at 1 month old, I would say you would be fine to let her sleep as long as she wants at night. During the day, however, I would still encourage you to wake her every 2-3 hours to eat. It sounds like she is cluster feeding...feeding more frequently while awake to tank up for longer stretches of sleep!

Are you feeding her pumped breastmilk in a bottle? Is there a reason you are not feeding her directly from the breast?

Take care and hope to hear back from you!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Her diaper output is certainly well above the minimum, so you know she is definitely getting plenty of milk. How has her weight gain been?

Typically, once a baby has regained her birthweight and breastfeeding is well-established (no supply concerns), then it's fine to let the baby sleep as long as she wants at night. During the day, you can follow the baby's cues as well, provided she is still nursing at least 8 times in each 24-hour period and her diaper output is good.

I will also mention that for a healthy baby who is growing well and making good diapers, there is no need to measure her intake. You might consider breastfeeding only, to save yourself the hassle of preparing and cleaning bottles and to minimize the risk of "nipple confusion" (i.e., sometimes babies decide they prefer the bottles and refuse to nurse.)

--Rebecca

She is gaining weight fine now and producing lots of dirty diapers!

When she was born she nursed once perfectly right after birth. After the first nursing she went to sleep and did not want to wake to nurse again. The nurses helped me wake her every 2 hours to attempt to nurse but she would only suckle once and go back to sleep. We tried everything because I wanted her to nurse only. After about 12 hours they insisted that we feed her formula because she had nursed and she was a little jaundice. I asked if we could cup feed to avoid he bottle and they said it was not a option because she had not eaten in over 12 hours. I was tired, stressed and scared so I ave in a let the nurse feed her with a bottle. I continued to attempt to nurse at every feeding with no luck. I began pumping right away and my husband and I used a cup to feed her and I atempted to nurse before every feeding. At her 2 week check up she had lost weight. She was born at 6.4 lbs and was down to 5.3lbs and still a little jaundice. Her doc gave her a bottle of formula and said we needed to use bottles to get more food in her. I was devestated because I worried that now she would never nurse. I continued to attempt to nurse at each feeding with no luck. After 1 week of bottle feeding she had gained 1 pound and started nursing!! We now her her only on breast milk but se a bottle a couple of feedings per day. This allows her Daddy to feed her once at night so I can get one good block of 4 or 5 hours of sleep.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk