Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need some advice.....

Question I need some advice.....

MY18 month old started to wean during the day.but he has gone backwards when i tell him no he gets very upset.he eats a lot of solids in the day time but on top of eating he wants to nurse on top of it> I was wondering if anyone has advice i have four kids and he is the first one i have

Default Re: I need some advice.....

What you're experiencing is very, very normal when baby is not yet ready to wean. The more you push the baby away, the more they clutch at the thing they feel like they're about to lose.

So, what's your goal? Are you ready to wean, or are you comfortable continuing to nurse? If you're ready to wean we can probably help you find ways to proceed. If you're not, maybe we can help you with strategies to make nursing a bit more fun for you and your LO!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Has there been any changes recently? Is he teething? Seems prime time for molars to be coming in. Sometimes even something as small as a change in seasons can trigger a need to nurse more during the day. Is it hotter where you are? Have you moved? Switched rooms, started a new school/job/etc? Anything that changes the family routine can cause a weaning LO to seek comfort at the breast.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizzy29 View Post
    MY18 month old started to wean during the day.but he has gone backwards when i tell him no he gets very upset.he eats a lot of solids in the day time but on top of eating he wants to nurse on top of it> I was wondering if anyone has advice i have four kids and he is the first one i have
    are you saying when you tell him no to nursing or no to anything?

with the pp that if it is no to nursing and he gets really upset then he is not ready.

no to anything is behavior of kids his age.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

La Leche League is the right place to discuss how to navigate the tricky waters of nursing a toddler.
    We support and share your struggles. we understand the conflict and confusion due to our cultures' misunderstanding of breastfeeding past infancy.
    Evolutionarily, 18 months old is still a baby. An 18 month old can not fend for himself nor safely chew and swallow all the nutrients needed for optimal health. Your breastmilk contains EVERYTHING your baby needs.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair