Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike? Help!

Default Nursing strike? Help!

Hello ladies. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have an 8.5 month old daughter who has been exclusively breastfed. Although we had a rough start, she has been nusing well for a while now. She started biting me last night and when she bit me this afternoon (it was at the end of her nusing), I said no and she got very upset. (She has had a couple breath-holding spells) She didn't have a breath-holding spell but did briefly hold her breath. I immediately cuddled and rocked her (feeling guilty) and she seemed fine within a minute. When I went to nurse her again a couple hours later, she refused and started to cry. I tried both breasts and multple positions with the same result, we even stopped and played for a few minutes. She did start to fall asleep and I was able to get her on, but it took the second time she fell asleep because the first time she fell asleep, she refused the breast and woke up and cried.

I'm not sure if this makes sense as I'm so emotional right now. I'm sorry!

Does anybody have and advice or insight? I know I won't treat her biting me the same next time (if there is a next time).

Some additional information:

-She is a generally gassy baby.
    -She has been dealing with a cold/allergies for the last 2 weeks and has been stuffy mostly when laying down. Has very slight cough since yesterday. No fever.
    -Has not been sleeping well at all for about a month now and has actually been nursing more frequently overnight than she used to. And even with the more nursing, she still wakes up multiple other times.
    -I've found her sleeping on her stomach the last two nights and she has never done this before. Always a back sleeper, but occasionally rolls to her side and sleeps.

Thanks again.

Default Re: Nursing strike? Help!

I wanted to add that I will be calling her pediatrician in the morning to try to get her in for an appointment to check for an ear infection.

Was she falling asleep at the breast when she bit down? It is ok to have a reaction to pain (it's biological after all) so don't beat yourself up for it. I would talk to her about how biting hurts momma and remind her that you love nursing and cuddling with her. Continue to offer or just snuggle if she refuses but I don't think she's on a strike. I think perhaps she needs a little encouragement and a reminder that although she bit, it was accidental and that momma still loves her and wants to nurse her. IMO, the other factors don't apply to the biting. If you suspect an ear infection, that might come into play though. KUP.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Thank you so much for your reply. No she wasn't falling asleep when she bit. I'm happy to report that I have been able to successfully nurse her since the incident last night. I've been giving her lots of praise and encouragment just like you suggested. I think you're right in that I scared her by my reaction to her biting. I'm hoping that we have moved past this incident. Thanks again