Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tastes like soap?????

Default Tastes like soap?????

I have noticed on two occasions, I will be looking for more, that the milk that I have placed in the fridge, tastes like soap!!! The first time was when I was at work and DH made a bottle for DS. I don't even know what made me do it, but I dunked my finger in the milk to taste it and liked to fell out. I fussed at DH and told him that from now on the bottles were to be washed with soap and then dunked in boiling water to make sure all the soap was gone. Then I started thinking about it and thought maybe I didn't clean the soap out of my pump very well so even those get rinsed 100 times and then dunked in boiling water. I was taking a nap yesterday and DH said he was trying to feed DS cereal and he was screaming like he didn't want it. Well, I got up a few minutes later and thought I'd give it a try. Don't know what made me do it, but I tasted it and liked to fell out of the chair. It tasted like soap again!!!! No wonder he didn't want it. I've tasted my milk right after I've pumped and it doesn't taste like that. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking maybe it's the Lansinoh bags I've been using???? I dunno. Please help with this, I can't have this, it's just nasty!!! Where is this soap taste comming from?!?!?!?! TIA

Default Re: Tastes like soap?????

I have not experienced this myself, but isn't a "soapy" taste one of the indicators of excess lipase? I know there are some people on this forum who have that problem. Perhaps for some people it does not happen all the time, but just on occasion, or during certain periods of time? I'll be interested to see what the others think.

It sounds like excess lipase?? There have been other threads on here about that you may want to search...

Here is what KellyMom says::

A few mothers find that their refrigerated or frozen milk begins to smell or taste soapy, sour, or even rancid soon after it's stored, even though all storage guidelines have been followed closely. Per Lawrence & Lawrence (p. 781), the speculation is that these mothers have an excess of the enzyme lipase in their milk, which begins to break down the milk fat soon after the milk is expressed. Most babies do not mind a mild change in taste, and the milk is not harmful, but the stronger the taste the more likely that baby will reject it.

Lipase is an enzyme that is normally present in human milk and has several known beneficial functions:

Lipases help keep milk fat well-mixed (emulsified) with the "whey" portion of the milk, and also keep the fat globules small so that they are easily digestible (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 156).
    Lipases also help to break down fats in the milk, so that fat soluble nutrients (vitamins A & D, for example) and free fatty acids (which help to protect baby from illness) are easily available to baby (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 156).
    The primary lipase in human milk, bile salt-stimulated lipase (BSSL), "has been found to be the major factor inactivating protozoans" (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 203).
    Per Lawrence & Lawrence (p. 158), the amount of BSSL in a particular mother's milk does not vary during a feed, and is not different at different times of day or different stages of lactation. There is evidence that there may be a decrease in lipase activity over time in mothers who are malnourished.

What can I do if my storage problem is due to excess lipase? Once the milk becomes sour or rancid smelling/tasting, there is no known way to salvage it. However, newly expressed milk can be stored by heating the milk to a scald to inactivate the lipase and stop the process of fat digestion. Scald the milk as soon after expression as possible.

To scald milk:

Heat milk to about 180 F (82 C), or until you see little bubbles around the edge of the pan (not to a full, rolling boil).
    Quickly cool and store the milk.
    Scalding the milk will destroy some of the antiinfective properties of the milk and may lower some nutrient levels, but this is not likely to be an issue unless all of the milk that baby is receiving has been heat-treated.

Per Lawrence & Lawrence, bile salt-stimulated lipase can also be destroyed by heating the milk at 144.5 F (62.5 C) for one minute (p. 205), or at 163 F (72 C) for up to 15 seconds (p. 771).
    Last edited by wyattsmama; October 30th, 2006 at 08:58 AM.

Thank you so much for that. I'm going to have to do some megga research on this. I didn't notice this in the past. I wonder why it's starting to do this all of a sudden? I reaaly appreciate the replies!!

Sounds like Lipase to me, I also have this problem. Unfortunately, if you've already frozen and stored the milk it is all 'bad'. I had to throw out my stash and start over once I had discovered the problem. Make sure you scald the milk before you freeze it. My milk is usually inedible after about 24 hours. If I pump it the same day then DS will take it, but he won't take my pumped milk from the day before. I have to scald/heat all of my milk I pump at work when I get home.

There's a huge thread about this topic, I've pasted it below for you. At the end of the thread I have two posts about how I scald my milk and some testing I did with different storage methods. If you have a defrosting freezer too, that does a lot of damage to the milk which has excessive lipase. I bought deep freezer just for my milk, since going through the trouble of heating it I'd like to make sure it is stored in the best possible place.

Here's the thread:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=297

HTH

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Thanks for the link. There was a lot of helpful information on there. I did notice a couple of questions are still unanswered though.

a) Why is this happening all of a sudden at 5mo. I routinely taste the milk I'm getting ready to give DS just out of habit. I've just noticed this in the past week. My milk used to be good for the 8 day mark. Why is it not even lasting 24 hours now?

b) what does "cool quickly"' mean? Do you put it in the fridge or do you just let it cool on it's own and then put it in a bag. I can pump 6-7 oz on my way home from work and it KILLS me to think I'll have to throw that away. DS had to get formula tonight because the milk I pumped last night went bad!!! He hasn't had formula in WEEKS. It seems like once I get a leg up, something else freakin happens. I really just want to scream.

c) Can the milk be put in a metal saucer and mixed with what? A metal spoon, plastic? Does it matter?

d) How do we know it's really excess lipase, is there a specific test they can do to determine this?

I am so aggrivated I could just cry. We were doing sooooo good. It's just been this past week he's been fussy with the expressed milk. He nurses without a problem. It just kills me to think my FIL could be even remotely right about me not being good enough. Quite frankly it pisses me off. It's like everything will be smooth sailing and them BAM something else happens. ARRRRGGGGG. Sorry. It's late, I'm tired, and now I have to pull out a stupid sauce pan at 0130 in the morning. I'm NOT happy right now.

Man, I'm sorry... your FIL is WRONG and I will say no more in order to be polite!

If your little guy will still eat the stuff even when bad smelling, apparently it's OK for him. If not though - I guess you'll have to continue with the scalding and etc for a while.

I have not heard about somebody having this come on suddenly, but that does make me think maybe it can come and go. So perhaps there's hope it will go? There are a number of articles on this so I hope you and the others will find good answers. Good luck and hang in there, it will get better and you ARE good enough, absolutely - don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

If worst comes to worst maybe you would have to supplement and would not be able to save your pumped milk. But you would still be able to breastfeed, etc. Good luck to you.