Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low weight and development behind

Default Low weight and development behind

Firstly my ped is completely unconcerned...
    Anyway- my DD is 6 1/2 mo EBF (with some food just here and there- which she likes, btw) born 7 lb and she is now only 12 lb and very small. My question is, would her slow growth be affecting her development? She sleeps on her back, hates tummy time (screams and cries thru the whole time!), doesn't roll over, doesn't sit up and only just started to *try* to grab for things- but can't hold on to it for very long.
    So, what are your thoughts? is there any correlation? Should I be concerned with her weight gain and size?
    Any advice appreciated!

Default Re: Low weight and development behind

Pediatrician is unconcerned? Then things are likely okay. Usually the pediatricians are the first ones to start to ! That being said, if a baby is truly not taking in enough calories to grow, that can certainly affect their development. If you have any questions about your kid's development, maybe see a different pediatrician? Maybe hearing "Everything's fine" from 2 sources will set your mind at ease.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Honestly I think that IS concerning.

One, her weight. 5 lbs in 6.5 months is not much at all. I understand that growth begins to slow down in the second half of the first year for breastfed babies, but that's 2.8 ounces per week that she has gained overall. How are her wet diapers? Has her head circumference increased appropriately since birth? What about her growth in length?

Not sure if the developmental stuff is related to the weight gain problem, but I would be concerned there too. Does she sit assisted? My daughter didn't sit well on her own till nearly 8 months, so that is ok, but not rolling over and not picking up objects seems like it warrants some investigation by your pediatrician.

Hm..DD is very small. She's 14 months and at her last appointment she was only 18 lbs. She's proportionate, though and my DS was the same way. How tall is she? Is there any thing else that concerns you about her development?

My younger daughter is also very small. She was 8lbs 1oz at birth and at 9 months is only a little over 14lbs, so 6lbs in 9 months. However, she never stops moving and seems to be doing very well developmentally. She was rolling and crawling very early. My older daughter didn't start rolling around to get toys until she was 6.5 months when Amaryn was already speed crawling at that age! My older daughter was huge, though.

I'm in a similar place as I'm a bit worried by how small dd2 is, but the ped doesn't seem too worried. At 6 months she said "well, she's still on the charts. If you come back at 9 months and she's down here (points to off the charts low weight) then I would be concerned" and of course Amaryn was at that off the charts weight this time and she wasn't worried and said to wait it out until her 12 month visit. She did say that she has seen many kids go through lots of expensive testing and nothing is ever found, they're just small kids. So that may be our issue here...

Regarding her slow weight gain, do you think it's just constitutional or is there a concern about getting enough nourishment (in other words, how is her diaper output)?

Babies are individuals, and they all have their own growth and development trajectories. The simple fact that someone else's baby did X or didn't do X by the time they were your baby's age doesn't really mean too much. Milestone guides are generalizations, but they can be useful in evaluating where a baby is, developmentally, simply because they are generalizations. That said, plenty of babies just go about their business a little slower than others and it's no problem at all.

Is your baby interactive? Does she make noises and eye contact with you? Does she smile and laugh? If the answer is yes, then things are probably just fine. In any case, I agree with mommal that seeing a second pediatrician might be in order, if only to set your mind at ease
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

My ped actually is usually very laid back, which I like. He is very knowledgable and explains in depth every question I have! So, being that he said not to worry and she is growing (albeit veeeeeeery slowly)- I'm not really worried, just wondering about it. He did say some of what you ladies are saying, like not to compare kids and she does seem happy generally.

I have to say, though that she is much more high maintenance than my son was! I'm trying to figure out if it is because she is a girl or if something is bothering her...

About her diapers- she has usually 5-7 wet diapers daily, but dirty ones- not so much. She had gone 1 1/2 weeks w/o any, then had 5 in one day, then again 5 days w/o any, and now it seems every other day or so she has a dirty diaper.

She does sleep well (though you'll hear me complain a lot anyway- bec. she is on the lower end of the spectrum while my son was and is on the higher end-- he is 2 yo and still sleeps 13-16 hours a day.), usually night sleep is from 8/9-5:30/6 and a couple of hour naps during the day- if I'm lucky.

She definitely smiles and responds to funny stuff and is just starting to grab things, but doesn't really move her body much. She kicks while on her back or when sitting on my lap, but that's it.

Oh, and about her length, she was born at 20.25" and at 6 mo was 24.5". I think the dr. said she is pretty proportionate, as is her head circumfrence.

So basically, I don't feel the *need* to go to a 2nd ped- I trust mine, but just wanted more feedback from other mothers and other opinions, even if they are non-professional opinions.

THANK YOU!

It sounds like her output is pretty normal. I don't think I'd worry about whether she's getting enough.

Do you know her weight history? Has she maintained around the same percentile for the last several months or is she steadily dropping? I only ask because according to the WHO growth chart she is below 0 percentile (just barely) which in itself isn't necessarily something to be concerned about, but if she continued to drop over time that would worry me. Your doc obviously has more info than us so if he's not worried everything is probably fine. I know a lot of docs will put more focus on the weight to height ratio than the weight percentile alone because that gives a better idea of the individual child's growth curve.

If it were me I would want to keep an eye on her growth. If it continues to drop in percentile I'd push my doc to do more looking.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous