Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused about foremilk/hindmilk? Read this!

Default Confused about foremilk/hindmilk? Read this!

The terms "foremilk" and "hindmilk" cause some confusion because they seem to imply there are two types of milk, which, of course, there aren't. This post at thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot.com does a fantastic job (with pictures!) of showing the gradual increase in the fat content of milk during the course of a feeding, and explaining why it happens.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Confused about foremilk/hindmilk? Read this!

thank you for posting this! i was stressing out the difference between fore milk and hind milk. this helps a lot... eases my mind.

But preferable breast feed!

WOW Thank you for posting this!!!! I was just wondering about this today while nursing my three week old!!

Tami

Jacob 2.2.04 FF due to lack of support (biggest regret in life)
    Abigail 12.7.08 ~ BF 14 months
    Nicholas 12.21.12 ~ EBF

i am so stressed looking for a hindmilk.. is there a specific store selling hindmilk?what is the difference of it from breast milk?

OK I think this article is great, and I am amazed that this mom did all this to prove the gradual changes that happen over a feeding. (Or really, over a pumping session.)

But I think, with all the pictures and diagrams etc., for far too many moms the point is being missed, which is, that in the vast majority of cases, THERE IS NO REASON TO WORRY, KNOW, OR CARE ABOUT THE FAT CONTENT OF YOUR MILK AT ALL, EVER.

Really found this useful! Thanks so much for posting this! As a mom who's been trying to manage oversupply, I often stress out about the whole 'foremilk-hindmilk imbalance' thing. This clears up so many things and sets my mind at ease. Thank you!

So, I shouldn't be concerned if my milk does not look yellow, but watery and white?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mackeroo2013 View Post
    So, I shouldn't be concerned if my milk does not look yellow, but watery and white?
    Nope. Human milk comes in many colors, but is most commonly described as being a thin, bluish-white color. After a few weeks, milk generally becomes more watery-looking than cow's milk or to the milk produced during the first few weeks of breastfeeding, which tends to be yellowish/creamy-looking due to an admixture of colostrum.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"