Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump only expressing milk during simulation

Default Pump only expressing milk during simulation

I've been trying to express milk for about a week (have a Medela electric double pump) and I seem to only really express milk during the "simulation" stage of the pumping. Once the pump increases to the "expression" stage, the milk flow slows down and eventually stops. I'm only expressing about 1/4 oz milk / session. Is there something wrong with the pump? Or am I just not yet expressing that much milk?

I usually try pumping about an hour after the baby's morning feeding. (Is there a better time of day to try?) The baby usually feeds from both sides so I can't feed and pump at the same time.

Thanks!

Default Re: Pump only expressing milk during simulation

I would suggest calling medela and getting information about what to do in such a situation. It is certainly possible there is something wrong with the pump.

Can you set it to keep doing what is working for you, rather than switching to a setting that is not?

Are you pumping to build a stash or for some other reason?

Do you use a hands free bra and do massage/compressions during pumping? That can help get more milk at a pumping session. Also, maybe you just need to turn it off and back on to start up in the stimulation phase again, some people need to do that to get more let downs.
    Pumping does take practice.

Thanks ladies!! I'll try calling. And my hands free bra just came in so I'll try that too.

How long do you leave the pump on in the expression stage? Sometimes I had to pump for over 30 min to get two good letdowns, and I had it set on a medium-low suction level. My boobs didn't like a high suction at all, that actually made me not express as much milk as in a lower setting. But I guess it can be the pump as well. Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*leemami View Post
    How long do you leave the pump on in the expression stage? Sometimes I had to pump for over 30 min to get two good letdowns, and I had it set on a medium-low suction level. My boobs didn't like a high suction at all, that actually made me not express as much milk as in a lower setting. But I guess it can be the pump as well. Just wondering.
    Right, do remember that pumping should not hurt, if it hurts something is wrong.
    Properly fitted shields will produce more milk than too big or too small.
    And some women don't respond as well to pumping as others do. For me when pumping (and this is after months of practice to increase my milk supply) I still count it as a GOOD session if I get 1 oz out and that is combined, I usually don't get that much. Even when power pumping (ten min on/ten min off) for an hour I will still usually only get 2 oz total. But my baby can get over 3 oz out of me in 10-15 minutes when he wants to according to weighed feedings.