Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frequent feedings at 6 weeks

Default Frequent feedings at 6 weeks

Hi all, thank you for your time looking this over--as a ftm, with your help, I am happy with how far baby and I have come at 6 weeks but am a bit frustrated and confused...my 6 week old has been ebf from the start, on demand, and is doing good with diaper output and weight gain but I am sort of losing it over the frequency of his feedings. A part of me feels it all must be fine, as I have worked so hard to follow his cues, but yesterday I tried to go for a short walk with him and was on eggshells waiting for him to scream in hunger. I have no problem nursing in public but I can't just camp out on my neighbor's lawn.. there is no where to go in some cases. I do nurse in carrier as well but again this doesn't always work...So I guess I just need your validation that he sounds normal, and I am doing all I can. I wonder if there is a way to get him to take in more per feeding, but I am assuming that it is developmental? I always let him go until he pulls off... I know at some point babies are more efficient at the breast--boy oh boy I hope it is coming soon. I really don't know how you all do it.

Right now he feeds every hour or so during the day and does 2-3 hour stints from 6 pm to 5 am. He's had symptoms of colic the last two weeks, and I think it is due to oversupply...he chokes at the breast about 1/3 of the time, pulls off, etc, which must be affecting his intake...I have made efforts to do laid back positioning, side lying. We bed share and do side lying all night, which works well until 3 am when he starts gastric freak out, squirming and crying. I am wondering if I should stop side lying at 3 am and do laid back position and get him upright for some time after feeding, but I am so dang tired. He's spitting up with some feedings but not too much, but again I think that accounts for some lost milk...

Today, because he eats so erratically during the day and I now feel forced to have a back up bottle on hand in case I am at the store, etc. I pumped (for the first time ever, I don't like doing it) one breast while he ate on the other. I got 2 oz pretty fast. I would rather not pump yet since I am a stay at home mom for the next 2 months, but I feel as if for my mental health I need to have back up bottles. I just am emotionally bottoming out in terms of not feeling like I can go anywhere, like he is a ticking time bomb I am fine nursing in public but sometimes it is impossible...I can now see why people resort to formula...

Can you also tell me if it is fine to pump one breast, 2 oz, in the morning as a stay at home mom? He in general takes one breast per feeding. I just hear so many warnings about pumping...

thanks for your thoughts
    Last edited by @llli*scoob4751; November 2nd, 2015 at 10:03 AM.

Default Re: Frequent feedings at 6 weeks

One pump session per day for 2 oz is not likely to affect your milk supply too drastically. However, when you're going for a walk and he gets hungry or you're at the store, how do you feel about nursing in public? You have a right to. You can nurse anywhere you're legally allowed to be and no one can tell you to cover, to move, or to stop. Of course, you can cover yourself if you want, or go to a dressing room etc. I think this would take a lot of pressure off of you so you can get put with baby! If you baby wear, you can often nurse in the carrier and no one would even know unless they got up in your business.

It's normal, although crazy making, for babies this age to nurse near constantly. My son was like that! He barely spent any time off of my boob for the first 2 months. After that, I got a few 30 min breaks here and there, and now at 10 months he goes about 2 hours unless I offer sooner.

Hang in there, momma. The rough times are almost done and soon you'll be able to go out without having to worry about baby suddenly screeching for milk in the middle of your walk

with the PP. A single pump session is probably fine. What's more problematic is how frustrated and anxious your baby's nursing habits seem to be making you feel. Does it help to know that his behavior is totally normal for 6 weeks? Because it really is totally normal!

When you nurse in public, what is the most stressful for you? The fear that you'll be invading someone else's space? The worry that you'll be too exposed, that someone will be shocked? Or is it the baby's behavior- do you feel like he's too noisy or too obtrusive or too wiggly or something? The reason why I ask is that I'm hoping there's something we can suggest that will allow you to go out in public feeling confident and relaxed, so that when baby cues to nurse you won't feel like it's a disaster.

thanks for writing back...i guess i gave the impression i dont nurse in public but i have no problem with it...i actually love the convenience most of the time, especially in carrier....have done it on public transit, while getting my hair cut...i just mean those times when i am in a residential area or bit seedy part of my neighborhood and have him in stroller...theres no where to sit and nurse. or on a recent road trip where we had to stop every 45 minutes..2.5 hour trip took 4.5....or when i have a hot meal i could finally eat...maybe i am in general just in a bit of shock over how much my life has changed! it does help to know it is normal and i am not alone...i thought i had nursing in carrier down and loved it, but now he has started howling and getting agitated during nursing, so if i am in public i have to leave...its just a lot!
    Last edited by @llli*scoob4751; November 2nd, 2015 at 04:57 PM.

I'm glad to hear that you're okay with nursing in public! It sounds like what you need- and I mean this in the best possible way- is for your head to adjust to the reality of having a baby. The messy, screamy, inconvenient reality of it. The longer you stay in the mommy game, the more you realize we're all hanging on by a thread, hoping no-one notices that we've been wearing the same sweat pants for three days, there is spit-up in our hair and milk on our shirt, the baby is fussing, the toddler has just thrown up all over the backseat of the minivan, and something- or someone- smells very strongly of poop. Just take a deep breath and tell yourself that you are doing great, and then walk around like you own the world. You are doing the most important job in the world, and if you look like a mess or your baby is loud or milk is flying everywhere, so what?! Own it and be proud of it!