Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gaining adequately?

Default Gaining adequately?

Jack was 7 lb 3 oz at birth, and weighed in at 12 lb 1 oz the other day (just over 4 months). I calculated it, and he is gaining 4.3 oz a week. He is meeting all of his milestones with no problems. So, why do I feel like he is too small?

Default Re: Gaining adequately?

Hi! How are your LOs diaper output? Having 4-6 wets a day? What about poops? As long as diaper output is good and he's meeting developmental milestones, he's doing just fine :-) dont worry...some babies just gain weight a little slower than others
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

Diapers are all right. I don't change them as often as I used to... We recently switched to cloth, and I have been meaning to ask if he should be changed at the same frequency as I had been with disposables. He has 5 good and wet (soaked) diapers per day on average. His poops are few and far between, but when they come, boy do they come! You're right, I know some babies are smaller than others, it is just so scary to me! All I do is worry!!! We were surrounded by lots of other babies last night, and I think that is why I am so concerned. They were all chunkers, with the exception of one other baby. I try not to compare, but it is hard not to when all the other babies around us were so huge!

I think they are supposed to gain half an ounce to an ounce per day when small like this. He's gaining a tiny bit over half an ounce per day.

My four month old is also gaining at roughly that same speed, and she's just fine.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Mine gained at about the same rate too :-) to be honest I didn't see the chunkiness in my baby until about 5-6 months. That's when those cute little thighs got all their cottage cheese :-)

I switched to cloth diapering when my baby was the same age as yours :-) I find that I do change her more often in cloth. But mine always had yucky diaper rash with disposables and I don't want to have repeats of that so I change when the diaper is wet. I think the rule of thumb is to change every 2-3 hours. Your LOs poops sound normal :-)
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

He sounds like he's doing fine.

I can relate to your concerns, however. My DS always seemed small compared to all the other babies, too. Since he tends to be in a higher percentile for height than weight, he looks thinner. However, all the babies we are around are chunkers, too. My husband's cousin is 18 lbs at 4 months (adjusted age--she was 2 months premature).

It is hard to see your baby develop differently than others, but just like their mommies, all babies are different, too. They reach milestones at different points, have different personalities, and look differently. Since I am a worrier, it took me a while to get used to those difference. My DS is now 11 months, and I love him just the way he is! And, I'm happy that I can still carry him without killing my back.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joey4mom View Post
    And, I'm happy that I can still carry him without killing my back.
    One of the convenient reasons I don't mind my LO being on the lower end of the charts. It sounds like you are doing just fine.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!