Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Length of Time Per Breastfeeding Session

Default Length of Time Per Breastfeeding Session

My six week old girl has been breastfeeding consistently for the past two weeks. She normally goes about 30 minutes on one breast before she unlatches and is "done". (She normally doesn't want any more milk after she finishes so I don't give her both breasts in one feeding session.) For the last two days though, she seems to only want to eat for about 20 minutes before she is "done". Is this normal? I am afraid that she might not be getting enough if she is cutting the time by 10 minutes per feeding session. I have tried to get her to eat a bit more after unlatching but she is usually not interested.

Default Re: Length of Time Per Breastfeeding Session

Hello and welcome to the forum! Fellow New Yorker here.

You need not worry as long as your diaper output is the same, aound 6 wet a day. Your baby is becoming a more efficient nurser now and is able to get the milk out faster. Check out this link for more information. Good luck!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My DS never nursed for more than 20 minutes total...from day 1. I was so worried that something was wrong with him because he didn't nurse as much as he "should". Now he nurses for maybe 10 minutes total before he's done and ready to play.

Keep track of diaper output and otherwise enjoy the 20 minutes you have.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thank you so much!

I agree...my DD now at 9 months sometimes feeds for 5 min and is DONE! She also fed for less than the "normal" time even as a newborn. I thought something was wrong, too! Keep up the good work!

My DD will nurse anywhere from 10 minutes to 40 minutes on one breast per feeding. Guess it depends on her position, how much she gets & how quickly. Tonight she did a 5 minute session but I could tell she was getting the milk really fast - she was almost choking. So, I let her be done with it after that short time. She had also fed shortly before that on the other breast (with a plugged duct).