Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long will baby be "distractible" ?

Talking How long will baby be "distractible" ?

I love breastfeeding, and the fact that it's challenging and not for everyone. Its so special and the time with my little one is so precious.

Yes, I love chasing my baby w my boob, the nursing acrobatics, being rejected over and over because the cat jumped on the bed or the ceiling fan might have turned or he saw something...nothing like I thought breastfeeding would ever be.

When can I hope for more peaceful sessions?
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Default Re: How long will baby be "distractible" ?

I am there with you, my LO is soooo distracted now - I only get really good nursing sessions when she is sleepy or with the rocking chair these days. From what I gather it just gets more challenging, but they do get really good at nursing efficiently when they do nurse.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

I remember this phase. My DS was sooooooooooooo distractible starting at about 4 months. I, too, resorted to nursing while he was sleepy. Also, it helped to nurse in his dark nursery in the rocker.

Things have gotten better for us. My DS still is slightly distractible if he's not nursing before a nap--he's 11 months old. I can nurse him while watching T.V. again, and I can nurse him in rooms other than the nursery. If we're nursing in the family room and Daddy walks in, DS will notice, but go back to nursing after acknowledging Daddy's presence with a huge smile. Sadly, side-lying only works before bedtime for us now because he'll just roll/crawl away now.

Good luck! Breastfeeding is absolutely wonderful despite all the "fun" challenges along the way.

The distractible phase usually passes around the one-year mark, only to be replaced by the marathon-nursing/drive-by-nursing/wanting to nurse in downward dog phase! It's fun, though! I love toddler nursing.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Until they become adults.

But distractable from BFing? It goes in phases, gets better, returns, gets worse, gets better.... I have a 2 year old that is a constant distraction for her little sister (9 months). Which is so much more fun these days with the introduction of teeth.

If she gets too distracted? I just stop BFing and do something else. She'll tell me when she's hungry again.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I have a 2 year old that is a constant distraction for her little sister (9 months). Which is so much more fun these days with the introduction of teeth.

If she gets too distracted? I just stop BFing and do something else. She'll tell me when she's hungry again.
    This is exactly my situation right now. DD basically reverse cycles, since during the day her brother is just too much fun to bother with nursing. The biting is definitely the worst part of distracted nursing

I would love to have more time to offer, but as my baby only nurses in the morning before we go to work and in the evening, I only have so many hours, or even minutes I can wait before it ends up being replaced by a bottle or night feeding.

DS only nurses in the side laying position in our room, hates when I try to hold him and nurse so it seems to be the only option, although he does try to crawl and roll away every 5 seconds. I feel better tho, bottles aren't any better and his daycare provider has to hold him down with his arms pinned to get him to stay still enough for a bottle.

We are upcoming on 9 mos soon so I am looking forward to 11. I have thought about the possibility of exclusively pumping, it just drives me up the wall when DS is hungry but can't be bothered/too lazy to nurse with mom properly. Letdown is taking longer and longer because he keeps unlatching and compressions are too... you guessed it.. distracting!

Considering pumping to let down but even that seems like it's encouraging him.

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Are you against nursing at night?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Are you against nursing at night?
    Oh no, we nurse minimum 3 times at night... more often 4 and occasionally 5. and I get up at 4:30am for work. Just meant a missed feeding in the evening is just adding to my night queue.

Oh, I thought you were somehow in that elusive STTN club. Sorry that you're not. I'm not either.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months