Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day weaning?

Default Re: Day weaning?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    i guess it would make a huge difference if you're cosleeping or not, too. Nightweaning has been a non issue for us because we don't cosleep. He still wakes up occasionally, but i don't feel like that's something that needs to be weaned
    Mine is still waking between 1-3 times a night.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I was thinking that if you day weaned and then the baby started getting up all night to nurse it would be harder because during the day you can provide distractions...if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*intine View Post
    I was thinking that if you day weaned and then the baby started getting up all night to nurse it would be harder because during the day you can provide distractions...if that makes any sense.
    Makes sense.

I had another thought, do you think your LO could be getting molars?? Mine nursed so much at night during that time. Maybe you could try relieving that pain?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

do you have help at night?
    if you have a dp or dh that can take over some night time parenting that may help.

where does your lo sleep?
    some moms have had success with moving their lo away from them during the weaning process. they say their lo wakes less if they are not in the same bed or room with them.

my ds1 day weaned first and was only nursing to go to sleep at night so my dh took over the bedtime routine; bathing him, reading, books and cuddling until ds went to sleep.

my ds2 we night weaned first because I needed sleep. we continued to cosleep and I would try patting him back to sleep before letting him nurse, if he woke up enough and started actually fussing I would nurse him. It took us several months to stop nursing at night.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

We always co sleep. He sleeps in his bed at times too but still wakes up either way. I even try to walk with him in the hall so he could go back to sleep, give him water, anything, nothing helps. But my LO has never slept thru the night, even when he was nursing throughout the day. I find it way easier to day wean, because like someone else said, it's easier to distract them. But at night, he only nurses for a few minutes, as if he is using me for a pacifier *which he never took as a newborn*.

I got lucky with my son he's a good sleeper. My DD though she would wake up often. We night weaned first. When she would wake up and I knew she wasn't hungry then I'd get her back to sleep without nursing. She was night weaned before one, but I would still nurse her once if she woke up or was insisting. She did use a paci though.

For day weaning she got whole milk/breastmilk mix until we ran out and then it was whole milk in a sippy cup. She still nursed in the morning and before bed. Eventually, she just didn't want to nurse.

My son he sleeps really well so basically night weaned himself. If he wakes up upset I nurse him. If anything he's weaning himself during the day. He nurses 7am, (2 bm bottles while at work), 4 when I'm home, and 7pm. He's cut the 4pm nursing on his own. I'll try and try to get him to nurse and he refuses.

It sounds like He is reverse cycling (eating at night to make up day) or using you as a paci to go back to sleep. Are you giving him milk in the day to replace the bm?
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.