Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day weaning?

Default Day weaning?

Hello All,

I've managed to day wean my 14.5 month old. However at night, he's up every hour. He's never slept a full night sleep since he has been born. Is anyone else experiencing this? Also, sometime's at night he is nursing and starts to cry, as if nothing is coming out. I've day weaned for 12 days, the first few days hurt and I was engorged, but now it's back to normal.

Default Re: Day weaning?

Just curious, why did you day wean?

What is he eating during the day? He is likely making up for anything he lacks by ramping up the night nursing.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

he eats table food during the day. he eats very healthy, i never had a problem with him eating anything i made for him. i day weaned because i am ready to wean, and i have no idea how to come about the night weaning.

good job making it to 14 months mama! i would say the difficulty is probably due to the fact that your LO is not ready to wean despite your own readiness to wean. So if you can, just take it slowly and gently.

I've also seen Mothers reference Dr. Jay Gordon's method of night weaning but have no experience with it.

14 month olds are, from what i've been taught here, very unlikely to want to/be inclined to/be able to wean on their own so you're probably likely to deal with some resistance and unhappiness on the part of your LO.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Oh, is it better to day wean before night weaning? I don't know why, but I guess I assumed it would be easier the other way around at least to stop nursing in the middle of the night first?

Have you read "How Weaning Happens"
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*intine View Post
    Oh, is it better to day wean before night weaning? I don't know why, but I guess I assumed it would be easier the other way around at least to stop nursing in the middle of the night first?
    I haven't read "How Weaning Happens" that Jenna suggested above, but from my understanding most Mama's night wean first. I don't know if one is better than the other... my goal personally is to let my LO take the lead... but I know this becomes challenging for mamas after 2,3,4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*intine View Post
    IME it's easier to wean in the day. I have not yet night weaned. But my "baby" is older and more distractable during the day, plus I'm at work 5 days a week. I'm alone at night so I don't have anyone to help me with night weaning. I think my DD at 14 months would have been difficult to wean either way though
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    IME it's easier to wean in the day. I have not yet night weaned. But my "baby" is older and more distractable during the day, plus I'm at work 5 days a week. I'm alone at night so I don't have anyone to help me with night weaning. I think my DD at 14 months would have been difficult to wean either way though
    i guess it would make a huge difference if you're cosleeping or not, too. Nightweaning has been a non issue for us because we don't cosleep. He still wakes up occasionally, but i don't feel like that's something that needs to be weaned