Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Six Months Old...should I supplement?

Default Re: Six Months Old...should I supplement?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How much does your baby want to drink while you're at work? And is he sleeping through the night?
    i'm wondering the same thing. because 12 ounces should be almost enough, especially if you nurse right before you leave and right when you get home.

Make sure your DCP is giving small bottles (3-3.5 ounces) because babies will drink out of a bottle til it's gone, whether they need it or not. And my understanding is that a lot of DCPs do not understand that the amount of milk a BF baby needs is not the same as that of a FF baby.

I think in general people have a tendency to overfeed a crying baby rather than trying to figure out the actual cause of fussiness/discomfort whatever.

If you're still getting 12 ounces on the Fridays you're not working and then on weekends, you should really have enough for the week. That said.... I'd be really hesitant to go that long without pumping during the day, because over time it will cause your supply to decrease. Even if you can just pump for 15 minutes during your lunch break and stick that right in the fridge. You can even throw he pump parts in the fridge if you don't have time to clean them.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

So, 12 oz should be enough for the whole day? I was sending in 15 oz per day and they asked me to bring another bottle - they feed him every two and a half hours...and at home he does not eat that often. I was really hesitant about sending in the extra bottle - and she had to ask me twice... so he is getting 20 oz every day while I am away from him.

Maybe I will pump on my lunch, try the power pumping to try to stock back up a little, and just go back to sending in the 15 oz to daycare?

Thank you for all your help girls

Wow. My babysitter has asked me to send 16 ounces, but I actually send about 14 in four bottles - and I use the drop ins, so she can't really tell.

I would just send 15 ounces. I'm wondering if he's wanting to suck and so he has to use the bottle for that - does he take a pacifier? Maybe they can give him a pacifier to suck on? Or spread 15 ounces over the number of bottles they want to give him?

Babies generally take in 24 or so ounces per day of breastmilk, so if he's not sleeping through the night, he shouldn't take the majority of his calories in during a third of the day. Does that make sense? I'm feeling like I'm getting rambly here.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My guess is that you're giving him 5 ounce bottles from what you said. What about sending four bottles instead of 3, but just the 15 ounces?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Wow. My babysitter has asked me to send 16 ounces, but I actually send about 14 in four bottles - and I use the drop ins, so she can't really tell.

I would just send 15 ounces. I'm wondering if he's wanting to suck and so he has to use the bottle for that - does he take a pacifier? Maybe they can give him a pacifier to suck on? Or spread 15 ounces over the number of bottles they want to give him?

Babies generally take in 24 or so ounces per day of breastmilk, so if he's not sleeping through the night, he shouldn't take the majority of his calories in during a third of the day. Does that make sense? I'm feeling like I'm getting rambly here.
    there's no reason for him to get the majority of his milk when you're not around. if you send him with 20 oz and he drinks it all, he'll just nurse less from you and that will lower your supply even more. He doesn't need, at the MOST any more than 16 oz a day at daycare. And if they're curious, i'd do exactly what Tracie says and put it in a drop in - it's hard to tell the exact amount of ounces. But really, 20 is too much for that period of time. especially ifyou want to continue to nurse in the morning and evenings.

And I'm glad you're considering pumping during lunch. That will be great for your supply.

Good luck, Mama!!!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it