Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Months Old...should I supplement?

Unhappy Six Months Old...should I supplement?

I have been breastfeeding my 6 month old exclusively since birth.

Before I went back to work (when he was 12 weeks), I had my freezer stocked up with probably 40 8 oz. bags of breastmilk - I was pumping every 4 hours and would pump sometimes 12 oz each time. Since going back to work, I have not been able to pump during the day - only in the morning after nursing and in the evening when I get home from work...so the supply I had in my freezer has disappeared!

I now produce about 12 oz. of milk a day through pumping and of course he nurses through the night, in the morning and before bedtime. My problem is that I do not have enough to send to daycare because I have used all my frozen.

I am going to have to begin supplementing with formula - or hide out somewhere at work and pump... until I can gradually build up my reserve in the freezer again.

Any advice on what formula is the closest to breastmilk and the most gentle on their little tummies? I feel very guilty about having to supplement...so I want to choose the BEST one.

Default Re: Six Months Old...should I supplement?

Hi mama. Why can't you pump at work?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

how long are you away from your baby? you only need between 1 and 1.5 ounces of bm per hour you're gone...
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

No where to pump at work...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    how long are you away from your baby? you only need between 1 and 1.5 ounces of bm per hour you're gone...
    I am away from him for 8 hours every day except for Fridays.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*palmettogirl77 View Post
    Because of what kind of job it is or your employer? In most states, it is law that your employer make space available to pump in.

Other than that, have you tried power pumping when you get home? 10 min on 10 min off for one hour. That way you could raise your supply during that time and freeze what you get from that session. Maybe enough to get him through the day?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*palmettogirl77 View Post
    can you get an adapter and pump in your car.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Because of what kind of job it is or your employer? In most states, it is law that your employer make space available to pump in.

Other than that, have you tried power pumping when you get home? 10 min on 10 min off for one hour. That way you could raise your supply during that time and freeze what you get from that session. Maybe enough to get him through the day?
    I haven't. I will try that. I just remember the LC at the hospital told me to pump for 20 minutes every 2 hours to establish my supply - and that worked great, but like I said, I just can't do that with working.

Its not the employer, its my schedule while I am working - meetings, etc...and when I am away from my desk there is no one to take the calls or do the scheduling - the only time I have is at lunch - which I will now have to take advantage of.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this tonight!

How much does your baby want to drink while you're at work? And is he sleeping through the night?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How much does your baby want to drink while you're at work? And is he sleeping through the night?
    I take 4 five oz. bottles to daycare and one container of fruit or veggies.....so 20 oz.

In the evenings I will feed him dinner - a fruit AND a veggie and then nurse him about 8 p.m. before he goes to sleep for the night. He usually will wake up once (about 3:30 a.m.) to nurse at night and then he will nurse again at 6:30 a.m.