Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Great explanation of foremilk/hindmilk

Default Great explanation of foremilk/hindmilk

The terms "foremilk" and "hindmilk" cause some confusion because they seem to imply there are two types of milk, which, of course, there aren't. This post at thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot.com does a fantastic job (with pictures!) of showing the gradual increase in the fat content of milk during the course of a feeding, and explaining why it happens.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Great explanation of foremilk/hindmilk

great article, i love this kind of info. thank you

Thanks for posting Karen.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I thought it was interesting.

I will say though, that when I had crazy oversupply when Lilah was little, if I pumped, I would pump 5 to 10 ounces of watery "foremilk", and it took several weeks to get the oversupply under control by block feeding. So maybe the problem was oversupply, but I do think that it was more of a too much foremilk/not enough hindmilk problem. And she nursed every 20 minutes to 30 minutes, so it wasn't an issue of leaving the milk in there too long. My body just wanted to feed triplets.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    You should sticky this in the BF forum because it comes up again and again.
    Agreed. I've always thought of it the other way as well. Good to get the clarification.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I remember when I saw that Wikipedia picture I was reallly worried because it didnt look like I had enough hindmilk when it separated.

Thank you for posting this!

Okay! I stickied it in both the newborn and infant forums.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

A little off topic, but this ould have scared me if I were still pumping, because I can tell you that 90% of the time when I pumped for DD I got what looked just exactly like tube 1, even when separated. I knew I was a bad pumper I did no know how bad and i am kind of glad I didn't.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I think it's important to note that there may be some variation in the appearance of milk (from different women, from the same woman at different times of day, same woman at 2 wks PP and 10 months PP, etc.) and if your pumped milk doesn't look like those test tubes, that's okay. It doesn't mean it's bad, you know? I just know ladies are going to see those photos and start obsessing that even their "hindmilk" is "too thin"!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.