Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Thinking of stopping BFing...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    30

    Default Thinking of stopping BFing...

    My LO has a swollen belly (very big). We took her to the ped yesterday and they are a little concerned, so she is going for an ultrasound today. The ped also wanted to see if she is getting over fed, so I went to a lactation consultant yesterday. We found that only after sucking for about 5 minutes, LO got almost 3 ML of milk. The lactation consultant said that is enough (which I was thrilled about because that is a short feeding), but I am now very worried...LO usually wants to suck for 10 or more minutes or if she comes off the breast she wants to go back on. I am worried I am overfeeding her...
    1. how do I know if she is getting too much?
    2. If I stop her from going back on the breast, how do I keep her content?
    3. Is it in her best interest if I pump and bottle feed so I can regulate her intake?
    I really need help because I am concerned her stomach is swollen do to overfeeding.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,313

    Default Re: Thinking of stopping BFing...

    Mama You can't over feed a breastfed baby. The baby controls the rate at which the milk comes out thereby controling her intake. A baby will not continue to drink milk to the point of her belly being so full that her stomach swells. 3 ML of milk in 5 minutes does NOT mean 6 ML of milk in 10. The flow comes faster and stronger right after the letdown and then tapers off. So it doesn't matter if she nurses for 2 minutes or an hour. Forgive me but it sounds like your ped does not know what he's talking about.

    That's not to say that there is not something else causing a swollen belly. But overfeeding is a highly unlikely source.

    She might be gassy. Or having a reaction to something you are eating. Or some other factor. But bottle feeding (thereby forcing a specific amount into her based on what appears to be the right amount to us, rather than letting your baby control what she feels is the appropriate amount) does not sound like the best plan to me.
    Last edited by @llli*babylove; May 11th, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

    Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: Thinking of stopping BFing...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    Mama You can't over feed a breastfed baby. The baby controls the rate at which the milk comes out thereby controling her intake. A baby will not continue to drink milk to the point of her belly being so full that her stomach swells. 3 ML of milk in 5 minutes does NOT mean 6 ML of milk in 10. The flow comes faster and stronger right after the letdown and then tapers off. So it doesn't matter if she nurses for 2 minutes or an hour. Forgive me but it sounds like your ped does not know what he's talking about.

    That's not to say that there is not something else causing a swollen belly. But overfeeding is a highly unlikely source.

    She might be gassy. Or having a reaction to something you are eating. Or some other factor. But bottle feeding (thereby forcing a specific amount into her based on what appears to be the right amount to us, rather than letting your baby control what she feels is the appropriate amount) does not sound like the best plan to me.
    And I wanted to add that if there is something wrong, breastmilk would be the safest and best thing for your baby. I would consider going to a GI doctor and getting their opinion. I find Pediatricians to be good at the general stuff and not very knowledgable about breastfeeding, parenting or anything beyond the scope of general health.

    My guess is that she finds comfort in your breast and is not really eating, just comfort sucking. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you are both comfortable with it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,467

    Default Re: Thinking of stopping BFing...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    Mama You can't over feed a breastfed baby. The baby controls the rate at which the milk comes out thereby controling her intake. A baby will not continue to drink milk to the point of her belly being so full that her stomach swells. 3 ML of milk in 5 minutes does NOT mean 6 ML of milk in 10. The flow comes faster and stronger right after the letdown and then tapers off. So it doesn't matter if she nurses for 2 minutes or an hour. Forgive me but it sounds like your ped does not know what he's talking about.

    That's not to say that there is not something else causing a swollen belly. But overfeeding is a highly unlikely source.

    She might be gassy. Or having a reaction to something you are eating. Or some other factor. But bottle feeding (thereby forcing a specific amount into her based on what appears to be the right amount to us, rather than letting your baby control what she feels is the appropriate amount) does not sound like the best plan to me.
    formula would be way more disruptive to a baby's system. My sons have both (as most kids do) had marathon nursing sessions, but they don't really swallow after they are full, it's more comfort nursing with a small amount of milk.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

    Watch Your Language

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Thinking of stopping BFing...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    formula would be way more disruptive to a baby's system. My sons have both (as most kids do) had marathon nursing sessions, but they don't really swallow after they are full, it's more comfort nursing with a small amount of milk.
    I also failed to mention that I have an overactive let down. So, I don't know if this causes her to get more then a "normal" let down would. My main worry is her distended belly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: Thinking of stopping BFing...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ftminmv View Post
    I also failed to mention that I have an overactive let down. So, I don't know if this causes her to get more then a "normal" let down would. My main worry is her distended belly.
    That would cause gassiness. Do you have an oversupply? Do you block feed?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,313

    Default Re: Thinking of stopping BFing...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ftminmv View Post
    I also failed to mention that I have an overactive let down. So, I don't know if this causes her to get more then a "normal" let down would. My main worry is her distended belly.
    Mama I understand you're concerned. And I second the suggestion to see a GI specialist. We're not saying that there isn't a problem or that everything is normal. We have no way of knowing that. But overfeeding via breastfeeding to the point of a distended belly seems next to impossible. There is something else going on.

    Overactive letdown and even oversupply do not mean overfeeding. Overactive let down alone is simply the force at which the milk comes out not the amount. Some babies who have to deal with overactive letdown end up swallowing a lot of air in the process of trying to handle the flow. That is more likely to be an influencing factor than the quantity of milk.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

    Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Thinking of stopping BFing...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    That would cause gassiness. Do you have an oversupply? Do you block feed?
    We are giving her mylicon and I have been getting her to pass gas, but have yet to see a change in her belly and the hardness of it. How do I know if I have an oversupply? I am currently feeding off one breast for 3 hours (which was instructed by the LC).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: Thinking of stopping BFing...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ftminmv View Post
    We are giving her mylicon and I have been getting her to pass gas, but have yet to see a change in her belly and the hardness of it. How do I know if I have an oversupply? I am currently feeding off one breast for 3 hours (which was instructed by the LC).
    That would help an oversupply. I've never used mylicon, I have always given my babies lots of tummy time, which helps with gas. I would still see a GI though. It would ease your mind.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,313

    Default Re: Thinking of stopping BFing...

    What are her poops like? How do they look? Are they yellow? Green? Always the same colour or varying depending on the day? are they seedy? mucousy (think snot)? frothy? Is there blood in them? How she poops could indicate whether you have oversupply or not.

    How long have you been feeding off one breast? That will help if you have oversupply. But it will take a couple of days at least for your body to regulate.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

    Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •