Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dairy?

Default Dairy?

LO was spitting up quite a bit (not terrible but enough that I didn't like it) - and often thru his nose, so I decided to cut back on dairy for a while (at least, the big ones, like milk & cheese). He was still spitting up but usually only little bits @ a time (though most times after he ate).
    Ped yesterday said I should try introducing it again, mostly to make sure I was getting the calcium I need, although she said if I want to give it up again, I can as long as I take supps.
    So for lunch I had mac'n'cheese (don't know how full of dairy that is, that fakey cheese!) & for dinner, around 6, 2 slices of frozen pizza. around 930 LO spit up a bunch again (and early this morning had a bunch/thru his nose).

He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms or be bothered by it. The nose thing just bothers me!!

Do you think the dairy could affect him that quickly or is it just coincidence?

Default Re: Dairy?

I think so. I quit dairy as well because of LOs spitting up. And when I would break down and eat some cheese, a few hours later my LOs spit up would be like a river!!
    I didn't reintroduce dairy into my diet until he was about 9 or 10 months old. By then he had no problem tolerating it
    Mom to T September 10 2009 - BF for 20 months

Due with baby #2 December 31st 2012!

lol, "like a river" sounds about right.
    somewhere between regular spit up & projectile

p.s. Did you feel it was ok to have cheese once in a while? Was it worth it?

Definitely not worth it. Even though all the spitting up didn't seem to really bother him, I still felt so bad for him. I felt like he wasn't Keepin down any of his feedings. And the amount of time I spent doing laundry trying to clean out all the spit up out of his clothes and mine was just ridiculous! His spit up would always stain really bad.
    Mom to T September 10 2009 - BF for 20 months

Due with baby #2 December 31st 2012!

My daughter has a dairy sensitivity and I discovered this when my normally very spit-upy girl suddenly stopped spitting up so much. I thought and thought, "what changed?" and realized I hadn't eaten dairy for about 3 days. So I started back and immediately the spit-up started in again. I knew i needed to have some calcium in my diet so i tried soy and almond milk--yuck and yuck--and goat milk--weird but not yuck, and the spit-ups stayed away. I did not know it took 2 weeks to get it out of the system. I think that could be why she sometimes would still have some problems when she hadn't had milk recently.

LO had been doing pretty good - only spitting up little bits @ a time, so it seemed normal.
    I didn't add any of the foods I had given up recently, but the last 2 days he has been spitting up in large quantities again. Do you think this is because it takes a while to get better, or do you think I need to give up more?

Could it be something besides food aversions?