Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

I'll try to make this as short as possible. My son is now 3 months old and was born tongue-tied. They did not figure this out in the hospital and it wasn't until we went for our first appointment with the lactation consultant at the pediatrician that they noticed the tongue. We had been having trouble with latching obviously and decided on occupational therapy, using bottles and pacifiers and had success with stretching his tongue. There has been absolutely no nipple confusion whatsoever and he has always switched between them with no problem. My issue is that with all the issues in the beginning I got off tract and basically slacked off on my end. I've never had much of a supply and have tried Fenugreek and now am taking More Milk Special Blend. My supply is now very very very low. I'm lucky if I get 1 mL during a pumping session from both breasts combined. I've never been able to get an ounce when pumping. DS is now not wanting to latch (we use a nipple shield) when I do try to breast feed. I know that I need to drink water and there's the supplements and oatmeal. I guess my questions is what else is there? Is there any point now or can I somehow get my body and my mind back to where I need it to be so I can do this. I guess I want to know if there's a way to almost start over. Thanks

Default Re: What to do?

It's all supply and demand. If you bring your child or pump to the breast as often as your child needs to eat, you will make enough milk. Every session that you supplement is a two fold loss for your production at least. Breastfeeding in the beginning is an all day everyday affair. There is no question that you CAN make enough milk. You can. It's whether or not you are willing to do the work involved. You can't slack off. Every time your child eats you need to either pump or have the child at the breast. And at this age that means around the clock every 1-3hours. You can do it. Your body WILL make milk. But not without the signals.

Way too lazy for formula

Also remember that what you pump is not an indication of how much LO is getting. I've read numerous times that baby is much more efficient than the pumP. So keep it up, offering as much as you can!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    It's all supply and demand. If you bring your child or pump to the breast as often as your child needs to eat, you will make enough milk. Every session that you supplement is a two fold loss for your production at least. Breastfeeding in the beginning is an all day everyday affair. There is no question that you CAN make enough milk. You can. It's whether or not you are willing to do the work involved. You can't slack off. Every time your child eats you need to either pump or have the child at the breast. And at this age that means around the clock every 1-3hours. You can do it. Your body WILL make milk. But not without the signals.

You most likely can get your supply back, but there's only one way to do it: removing as much milk from the breast as possible as often as possible. That's it. There's no other tip, trick, or supplement. The water, oatmeal, and herbal stuff can help boost an established supply, but they're not going to bring back a supply that's been dwindling due to neglect.

I hope that doesn't come across as harsh, because I don't mean it that way. It's simply the truth. I think it would be a great idea to bring your supply back up!!! If you can manage to coax your baby back to the breast, that'll be the best way because, as PP mentioned, babies are better at milk removal than pumps

Here are some tips for coaxing baby back to the breast:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

You can do this!!
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

It's not quite dwindling from neglect, I never established a good supply. I did the entire process of round the clock nursin/pumping, water, supplements etc and it never increased from the time he was born. The LC told me that I may not ever actually establish more of a supply. As for the forumla, I was told by his pediatrician to give it to him because he had weight issues and obviously wasn't getting enough from me. Thanks for the help and support =)
    Last edited by @llli*joeysmommy; May 13th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.

You said you got off track and slacked off. And with those issues it's understandable why that would happen. But you still need to do it. And Pedi's make horrible reccommendations about formula supplementation all the time. And the more you supplement the harder it is. How long did you do it around the clock? Because it sometimes takes as long as 5-7 days to come in and you may never have a huge surge due to breast capacity. That does NOT mean you won't make enough milk. As a PP stated the pump is no indicator. You count diapers. That's how you know.You must pump and/or feed on demand. Are you nursing at all at this point? You can totally get it back on tract. For sure. You just have to do the work involved to get your supply up. It's not hopeless. It can be done. Only you can decide whether or not you want to do the work. But if you do, we can certainly help you.

Way too lazy for formula

I did it for weeks and didn't slack off until it had been weeks. The formula came into play because he was well below birth weight and wasn't gaining right. From there it just kind of snowballed. I really wish I could go back but obviously I can't. I'm pumping every 2 hours now, drinking my tea, water, and eating oatmeal. I figure if this doesn't work then it's the last harrah and I've put forth the effort to try to rectify the situation.

Good for you, you're doing all the right things If you can manage to coax your baby back to the breast, make sure you try nursing him before his bottles if at all possible. Best of luck
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Thanks =) I do try to get him to latch but he's not wanting to. I've had to deal with this before when we had to start using the shield. He didn't want to then either but we got him to with some work. Other than that it's just still a work in progress. He eats every 5-6 hours now but if I can get him on and stay on maybe he'll nurse more instead of bottle feeding that far apart. If not I'll be happy even if I have to pump. I really want him to have the BM instead of formula.