Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing manners for a 15 month old?

Default nursing manners for a 15 month old?

Any suggestions for teaching my almost 15 mo daughter to politely ask to nurse? Is it too late to teach her to sign for milk?

Right now, I still think it's kinda funny when she gropes me and pokes me and reaches into my cleavage in public. It's a thrill to see her learning new ways to ask for what she needs. But I'm wondering if it will get old at some point and I'll think "Why didn't I work on those nursing manners when I had the chance?"

Default Re: nursing manners for a 15 month old?

It's definitely not too late to teach the sign for milk - Joe didn't really pick that up until about 18 months. Now, six months after learning the sign, he is FAR less likely to grope me, and far more likely to just sign "milk." But I'll warn you, it can be a slow process. Just keep saying, "you want milk?" and signing and/or saying your word for milk. She'll pick it up!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My LO is 16 months and we taught him the sign for milk a month or two ago. He loves it. He still tries to undress me if we're laying in bed and I'm trying to hold him off (he likes to nurse to sleep endlessly). But, he normally tries signing first.
    -Amy

Teaching the sign for milk has been a lifesaver for us. Not only does it cut down on the groping, but also the fussing/screaming/stomping
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Great! We'll try it!

When I was pregnant, I had big intentions of teaching her a whole slew of signs---I thought the idea was so cool. And there my flashcards sit, unopened...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xpectin2fly View Post
    Great! We'll try it!

When I was pregnant, I had big intentions of teaching her a whole slew of signs---I thought the idea was so cool. And there my flashcards sit, unopened...
    It's not too late now!! It's just another language, it wont inhibit speech or anything. I think it kind of stops him from saying milk, but he learns to say another word insstead, kwim?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

My son picked up several signs (more, all done, bye-bye, thank you) before he picked up any spoken words. He is almost 21 mos old, but it is only now that he really gets using different words for things, and only now that I feel comfortable that he has enough words to communicate most things he tends to want.

So it's only now that I am making him (not forcing, you understand, but strongly encouraging him) to use his "words" (by that I mean spoken or signed) to ask for things rather than pointing/grunting. Meaning yes, you should teach him the sign for milk (or the spoken word if he can pick it up), but it may be a while before you can expect him to stop groping
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Definitely not too late!

Use the sign CONSISTENTLY. When your DD starts to grope / poke gently stop her and say (WHILE SIGNING) "do you want to nurse ?" (or whatever word you use for breastfeeding).

My LO both picked up signing pretty quickly - which GREATLY reduced the whining, crying, groping.

IME nursing manners are a MUST. Especially with an older nursling, breastfeeding is a relationship for BOTH mom and child.

You do NOT need to put up with behaviors that annoy and/or hurt you.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)