Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting her to eat her veggies

Default getting her to eat her veggies

I might have done a lil bit of a bad thing when starting solids, my dd of 7 months only likes to eat tart flavors, she refuses to eat anything else, I just started to make homemade food and wasted alot, I herd about the 15 times to really like or dislike a food, and i will try to mix jar food with homemade meals. she is also starting to cut gums, im thinking i should just give up until her teeth come in... im dont know. any suggestions i would love to have
    Liz
    First time momma to Lux Francis
    10/1/10
    20lbs

Default Re: getting her to eat her veggies

I wouldn't worry about it at all! She's only 7 months old and food is just for fun right now. You didn't mess anything up.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Smile Re: getting her to eat her veggies

Thanks, Im really looking into BLS, Im not too sure she is ready. So for now i will do my homework
    Liz
    10/1/10
    20lbs

Don't you just hate wasting food? I'm trying to think of the food that ends up on the floor and on her bib (and hair, eyes, etc.) as the "fun food," which is just as important as the "nutrition food."

Even if you don't think she is quite ready for solids, it's okay to offer. Just put a little bit of baby-appropriate food on her tray and see what she does with it. It's alright if it's just "fun food" for now. If she rejects, say, banana, just keep offering. You're right, it can take awhile for baby to really appreciate the flavor. (I'm happy right now, because DD just ate banana after offering it for two months! She just kept making that sour face until I finally got a little smile and a swallow the other day. Lizzie!)
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

im really happy to hear about the banana, my lil miss will not take it in a jar or fresh, im inspired to keep trying! and i cant tell you how many times this week i opened a jar of earths best to find that its spoiled, or tastes like metal
    Liz
    10/1/10
    20lbs

I'll add that you won't be wasting as much food if you just give LO a bit of what you're eating (baby-appropriate, of course). It's food that's already prepared and you don't have to worry about germs and metallic residue in jars that you put back in the fridge after dinner. You can kind of gauge how interested baby is and offer food accordingly.

Do you know about banana sticks? Cut the banana in halves or thirds and gently press the cut end. You will see the fruit start the break naturally into three lobes that are perfectly suited for baby fists. (Isn't nature smart? )No spoon required!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

At 7 months, my DS would really only eat pears and squash--anything else I introduced he would try, but not like. He would typically spit it out, then turn his head and start kicking--sending Mommy the message that he was done and just wanted the boob.

I was really worried about his eating habits too (I posted a few questions on this forum a couple months ago). Now, at 11 months, my DS will eat ANYTHING. Really! I never would have seen this coming. Okay, not anything--he doesn't really like fish yet, but he's doing a lot better than before. I really just needed to give him time. I also noticed that about the time he started feeding himself well, he did begin to take to pureed food. I don't know if I'd call what I did BLS per se, but I did allow him the opportunity to try finger foods around 9 months. This really helped. Food he would not eat in puree form (peas, carrots, blueberries) is devoured in whole form.

She will eat her veggies, and you did not mess up. It will just take time and lots and lots of patience. Oh, and sometimes a second spoon for her to hold--then she feels like she has a little control.

Good luck!

I wouldn't eat if people gave me nasty mashed up stuff either. I ended up doing BLS with DS partly because I was pregnant and the purees made me barf.

I have two kids who were night and day when it comes to food. DS was not much of an eater until he was well over a year. DD started stealing food off our plates at 5.5 months. In my experience following your child's lead and not being afraid of offering food which is not normally associated with babies (both my kids love broccoli and curry for example) lead to happy kids with comparative healthy eating habits when they are ready
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

My DD actually likes some purees. I think some textures freak her out.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

If she likes sour things, try offering her veggies tossed with lemon juice and olive oil--my DD would eat anything tossed with lemon juice .