Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need a little help

Default Need a little help

My daughter is almost 6 weeks old. SHe is exclusively breastfed. Since she was born, she spit up. but now, she seems to spit up SO MUCH, i am afraid she isnt getting any of it. When she was weighed at her last dr appointment she had gained 1 pound in 2 weeks, and her poops are normal BF baby poop, but she spits up so much. And it is no longer regular milk spit up, it is thick and gross.

She also has started developing a rash on her face. It is a raised bumpy rash. I am agraid she is allergic to my breast milk.

I am lactose intolerant and have been avoiding dairy.

Default Re: Need a little help

lots of babies spit up alot! A weight gain of 1 lb isn't so bad, some of that might be a diffence in scales or nurse error. 6 oz in a week is normal but if the baby wasn't weighed on the same scale carefully thier weights can get messed up.
    avioding cows milk is a good idea since it bothers you.
    How long have you been avoiding the cows milk? Sometimes it takes a few weeks it to leave your milk.
    heres a good link not from LLLI http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

It sounds like if your baby gained a pound in a week, she is getting plenty to eat. I personally would still check with my dr if I was concerned about the kind of spit up. As for the rash, my baby had one, patchy, red, and raised, starting at about 4 weeks. It was only on her face. At first they said it was baby acne, then my dr said it was a type of dermatitis from her sensitive skin. She recommended changing to Aveno baby wash because it is mild and prescribed a steroid cream. The cream works well, it clears up the rash over night. Is the rash only on the baby''s face? If so, probably not an allergy I would still have it looked at to see if they can do anything like the cream for it.It really helped.

My DS had that same rash all over his face right around 5 weeks. He looked like a 14 year old boy just starting puberty. It took about 2 weeks, but it did clear up on its own. Just don't take too many pictures during this time.

About the spitting up....if your baby is still gaining that much weight and seems happy...then I wouldn't worry about it. Since that age Shiloh has spit about 10-15 times a day. He barfs on EVERYTHING...especially his daddy!

Just last night at HEB he worfed all over his daddy! (I thought it was funny) He still spits up a lot and is almost 6 mos old....but he's gained weight steadily, nurses well, has enough wet/poopy diapers a day, and is a happy baby.

Good luck.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

thanks girls, I am taking her in at 1:15 today. I asked some friends whose kids had reflux, and they said it sounds like that, so i am goning to ask the dr about it.

Personally, my DD didn't spit up much at all for those first few weeks. Don't know why, but I thought "how lucky for me". Not! LOL. She definitely started spitting up a few weeks ago and now does it regularly.

If it's not a funny color or projectile vomit or she doesn't seem sick, don't worry about it. Like they say... "spitting up is a laundry problem, not a medical one".
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

My little girl had alot of red bumps on her face the pediatrion said to wash her face with a gentle cleanser like johnson & johnson. I did not notice too much difference but it worked a little. It had cleared up considerably when I changed vitamins - I think she was getting too much vitamin A, I had been taking a zinc supplement with vitamin A in it. When I stopped taking it got better. (I was taking a multi-viatmin that had vitamin A in too) My little girl is 8 weeks now and there is still some but not very noticeable. in time it will go away...if it doesn't just talk to the doctor.

Also the spitting up could be acid reflux, does he seem a little fussy at eatings? If so you might ask your doctor if your child might have it.
    Last edited by mommy2AustinandKaitlyn; October 30th, 2006 at 08:40 PM.