Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nursing 16 MO...milk supply question

Default nursing 16 MO...milk supply question

Hi ladies,

Max is 16+ months old now and about two weeks ago he started nursing only three times a day. This week, all of a sudden, he's wanting to nurse six or seven times a day. That's fine with me, but i clearly don't have enough milk for him. He signs milk when he's not getting any more and squeezes my boob to try to get more to come out when it's empty (ish). I'm inclined to think that the last two weeks were more of a phase than what he's currently doing, but i'm worried about not making enough milk for him. I'm getting my period in a couple of days which makes my supply even lower and i'm wondering if i should do anything to boost it? I haven't taken fenugreek or had MM tea for about six months, but I hate to see my baby go to sleep unsatisfied... he's not really waking during the night anymore so i don't think he'll get it there.... what's your experience with this?

Thanks.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Default Re: nursing 16 MO...milk supply question

i guess more specifically, would you take something to increase your supply at this point? I'm just upset that he's getting frustrated and am not sure if my supply will go back up on it's own with his continued more frequent nursing or if i'm just sort of gradually making less milk.

could he be teething?? It's so hard to pinpoint why babies do what they do sometimes
    I really feel I haven't had much milk for months, Bennett does nurse at night and nap though. He picked up more night nursing the past few nights and I happened to look in his mouth today and his 2 year molars broke through...If it were *me* I wouldn't take anything unless you feel it's important to increase your supply. WHen Cooper self weaned at 20 months, I think part of it was my lack of supply. I felt it helped guide him in a way, that probably sounds weird...
    has there been any changes lately? Working more/gone more in the past two weeks? has he been sick at all? You're probably right, it's just another one of the many phases they go through!
    Last edited by @llli*hls02; May 10th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

no! that's what's weird - everything's the same and he has all his teeth til two year molars... i'm not worried about him nursing more or less necessarily, just that i really don't seem to have enough milk right now to satisfy him. This hasn't happened since he was about three months old, so i'm sort of at a loss!

Hmmm... well I think if it were me, I would probably not take anything to increase supply at this point... Personally, I feel like my supply has gradually decreased over time, and this is the normal/natural way weaning is supposed to happen. At 18.5 months, Mason nurses about 3-4 times per day, and does the squeezing of my boobs too to try and get more milk out. But he is not a big comfort nurser... he has his certain times of day he demands to nurse, but that's about it for him. Not sure I'm really adding much to the discussion here with my rambling... but I think you have to do what feels right to you? If you have the MM tea sitting there already, I don't think it would hurt anything to go ahead and drink it... a lot of it depends on how ready you are for Max to wean... if you are ready-ish, you might not want to go to any great lengths to increase supply... but if you are definitely not ready for him to wean, then you could maybe drink some of the tea. I have also heard taking a calcium/magnesium supplement is supposed to help for supply dips due to AF.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

But if he ups his sessions and you allow it you will make more milk. When this would happen to DJ he would do the compressions himself and then Flip to the other breast. If he was really unsatisfied he'd flip again. Now after he turned a year there was more flipping. Because he was always a one breast guy when he was a baby. But they know how to make it happen this late in the game. And a child that old isn't going to go hungry. They up their solid intake if need be. But if they want you to make more milk they just demand it more often. That never changes. OFTEN what happens when they get older is they lose interest before they get the next letdown. But giving up because you don't want to do the work to make the milk come is a CHOICE at that age. And it is a natural part of the process of stepping away on their own.

Way too lazy for formula

thanks buff and shelly. I guess I'm ready for him to do whatever he wants... last week i thought he was really stepping down the nursing and was totally okay with that. This week, he can't get enough (and i think that's quite literally!). So he has been nursing for MUCH longer periods of time. He's never nursed longer than about ten minutes a side and he pretty much nursed all evening yesterday and woke up for more at 10!

So I guess I'm with you then - let what's happening happen naturally. Max's never been much of a comfort nurser either, and that's why I've been sort of surprised by his recent increase -- which has coincided with increased needs for cuddling, resistance to me leaving/going to the bathroom/being out of sight .

Is this a typical time for increased attachment. It doesn't actually bother me in the least, really! He's pretty consistently been attached to Dad, who is with him all day. I'm just wondering what the change is all about. Just part of the process, i suppose?

ETA: Buff, I've heard about the calc/magnesium supplements too. Would this be in in addition to regular multi vitamin do you think?
    Last edited by @llli*jbean1979; May 11th, 2011 at 06:28 AM.

Yes the calcium/magnesium would be in addition to your regular multi vit.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I eat brown rice and oatmeal to help my supply but it still really drops right before and at the beginning of my period. I do bother to try to increase it and she's almost 22 mos.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Another thing....I think right at either 14 or 16months there was a growth spurt. How is his solid intake? Because I remember being AMAZED at how much he was eating and SOO RELIEVED that I wasn't solely responsible for it. He DID increase his nursing sessions and the length of time...but when I would watch him pound out dinner and he was coming home with and empty lunch box every day (which at that age...I was a little alarmed at how LITTLE he ate while away...he was very distracted when he first went away to daycare) I knew that wasn't JUST his need to nurse that was increasing. He has his first year molars already?

Way too lazy for formula