Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF & Always Hungry!!!

Unhappy BF & Always Hungry!!!

I know that we need to eat 500 more calories a day while BF, but I am uncontrollably hungry! At first, I was craving PB & choc along with steaks (protein). Now, those cravings have subsided but I'm still always hungry...everything and anything I eat doesn't, "hit the spot." I know not to diet and I'm more concerned with DD than my weight, but I initially lost 30lbs, and gained 10lbs back already...it has been 8 weeks, I just don't want to keep going up!!
    *Baby Eva*3-18-2011-8lbs14oz*21.5in*

Default Re: BF & Always Hungry!!!

My DD is 6 months old and I've been feeling the same way all along! I'd say go ahead and eat, but maybe focus on healthy foods to help minimize weight gain. I totally crave icecream and choclate myself,so I understand what you're feeling!

YES, I crave all the bad stuff! But I've been adding some healthy foods in too...I will just have to do some more walking. It's crazy how you crave fatty foods during BF...I thought I'd be losing weight like crazy, I was wrong!

I didn't start really losing weight postpartum until about four months, and then the pounds just fell off. I think before that, your body just amps up the hunger and cravings to make sure you have enough nutrients to feed your baby. Once they get to a certain age, though, the cravings subside, and the baby starts eating more calories than you are taking in.

Of course, stuffing yourself on super healthy food and getting some exercise never hurt, either. But in my experience, the insane hunger and cravings start to taper off all on their own. In the meantime, definitely don't go hungry! It can really affect your supply.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Everyone is different, but I totally understand your frustration. My weight went down a ton at first too, then has been yo-yoing plus or minus 5 lbs at 15 lbs above my prepreganancy weight. Here I am 11 months later.

Honestly, I have never felt this hungry since I was a teenager. Being pregnant doesn't even begin to compare to the hunger I have nursing. And I also seem to crave a lot of unhealthy red meat, dairy, fats, sweets, and heavy carbs.

I am SO hungry that I thought I was actually being really good about not eating too much, because I constantly am feeling unfulfilled and like I stop eating before I'm full. And I stopped eating icecream every night so I felt like I desreved HUGE credit and the weight should be coming off. Nope. But, um, my husband recently told me that ACTUALLY I have been eating huge portions at dinner and he now gives me more food than him. So I made him promise to stop that and now am eating less. And while I haven't seen a lot of weight progress yet my body IS adjusting and I am eating smaller dinners again and it is not as painful as I thought it would be.

Another thing that has helped recently is to remember to drink enough. Sometimes I think I feel hungry when actually a drink is what I need.

PS I love your avatar pic! So cute!
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Hehe thanks! Your avatar pic is really cute too...my LO always makes crazy faces after she gets a bath but yeah, I'm craving fats, red meat, dairy also...guess I will have to be patient
    I told my friend thats PG now that she's gonna be eating so much more when she's nursing because she was complaining about how hungry she was!
    I hope by 4 months my body is back on track

Oh, I remember some middle-of-the-night feedings when I was waiting for DS to finish so I could go make that PB&J I was fantasizing about! And a big glass of milk too-yum! Sooooo hungry, all the time!
    First time Mama to DS
    Born 6/17/09

Birth: 8 lbs, 7 oz
    1 month: 11 lbs, 1 oz
    2 month: 13 lbs, 13 oz
    4 month: 16 lbs, 10 oz
    6 months: 18 lbs, 9 oz
    9 months: 20 1bs, 15 oz
    11 months: 22 lbs, 2oz
    12 months: 21 lbs 15 oz, 31 inches!
    18 months: 25 lbs 11 oz, 33 inched

BF'ing now for 20 months!! and going strong!

And now, with EDD October 19, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*turtle23 View Post
    Oh, I remember some middle-of-the-night feedings when I was waiting for DS to finish so I could go make that PB&J I was fantasizing about! And a big glass of milk too-yum! Sooooo hungry, all the time!
    Mmmmmm ... PB&J. We joked that we wouldn't have been surprised if Joe came out of the womb smelling like PB&J, because I had two every day I was pregnant with him! This trend did not let up for nursing.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Like one of the previous posters mentioned, everyone is different. DD is 30 months old, still nursing, and I need to eat a ton or I feel ravenous. And I say the following not to brag but to reassure those of you who are worried: my weight is still less than what it was pre-pregnancy. Of course this won't apply to everyone, and I think I eat quite healthily. But rather than trying to limit your calories, just be more careful about where those calories are coming from.

Keep your sugar intake to a minimum--I find it addictive, otherwise. And of course veggies should be your best friend (this is the toughest one for me). But I also try to make sure at least one or two of my daily carbs are whole-grained--keeps you feeling full longer--and I have a generous serving of protein at almost every meal. Also, I feel a little fat doesn't hurt, and it actually makes me feel more satisfied, so I don't overdo the carbs. A good example is eating full-fat baby yogurt--I love the Stonyfield kind without any sugar in it; the portion is tiny but I find it a very filling and delicious snack.

There's nothing wrong with peanut butter, as long as it doesn't have hydrogenated oils in it, I think.

Yeah, I shouldn't complain because I'm pigging out...I'm not going to say I can't control it, but it's hard to control...and I so agree about sugar being addicting!! I just need to pig out on fruits, vegies, and lean meats! That's my goal...I gained a few more pounds....let's say I gained 12 since I had her (I lost the initial 30 but it's creeping back up on me GRRRR).
    I also think once I get out more, I will feel better and prob look a little better...we have a dr. appt tomorrow so she will have her shots
    I've been keeping her out of crowded areas to avoid germs, etc. although we do take a few strolls outside here and there (not enough though)!
    Like I said before, her health is in my best interest & there will be no crazy dieting on my part, but I do hope to cut back on the bad stuff. I've been drinking more water now, like when I was preg. I swear, soon as she came out, I was wanting sweets!! PS The PB&J comments are making me want one! I'm out of bread, gotta head to the store (if it helps, it goes on wheat bread )