Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Nipple pain ... what now?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denver, Co.
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?


    Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?

    Are you able to ask him to re-latch or change positions? Maybe that would help?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    4,984

    Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    Are you able to ask him to re-latch or change positions? Maybe that would help?
    I don't really know. I know it really makes it worse when Joe is kicking and moving around and squeezing my breasts and all of his usual tricks, but honestly, it feel like my right nipple has been traumatized, but somehow just won't heal. So it hurts in any position. My left is bugging me too, but I think that's because I've been avoiding nursing on the right side so much. I just don't get it! I've tried to give the right side a break, used lanolin, etc. It's fine when I'm NOT nursing (okay, a little sore to the touch), but hurts kind of a lot when I nurse. I would swear I have a bleb coming up or something, but nothing.

    I feel like last night was the worst of all. It's getting so that I really just can't even bear to nurse on that side. I have a world of understanding for you pregnant ladies! It's hard to just grit your teeth and bear it when you feel like, technically, your baby doesn't need your milk anymore. At least not at that moment.



    Okay, I'm really feeling bad about this. Nursing on my right side hurts bad enough that I am there gritting my teeth through it. It's really hard to put up with a full session on that side. My left side isn't as bad, but it's still uncomfortable. WTF?

    When I mention it to my DH, he says, "maybe your body is telling you it's time to wean?" And I'm like, no, I know ladies on the forum who nurse their 4 year olds! So it's not like it just suddenly gets painful at 2 years!!!!! But yeah, honestly, if I can't get a handle on this issue, I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'm seriously considering going back to the LC who helped me so much when Joe was a lil one.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; June 6th, 2011 at 08:01 AM.


    You can call me JoMo!

    Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?

    I honestly do feel your pain. It is one of the hardest parts of nursing I've had to deal with. Much Harder than the pain in the beginning. the only thing that has helped me is cutting back on the nursing which I know you don't want to do.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    4,984

    Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    I honestly do feel your pain. It is one of the hardest parts of nursing I've had to deal with. Much Harder than the pain in the beginning. the only thing that has helped me is cutting back on the nursing which I know you don't want to do.
    To some extent I have cut back, but I had been thinking it was just temporary, to give my right breast a break. But now it's been three months. Joe pretty much only nurses at night (and a couple times in the early morning) these days. I would totally offer it a few more times a day if it weren't so painful.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; June 6th, 2011 at 08:07 AM.


    You can call me JoMo!

    Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Yellow House
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?

    When Elisabeth was around that age and would get wiggly, I'd tell her that she had to be still to nurse or she'd have to get down. She almost always gets still (she's still wiggly sometimes). When she wiggles her teeth rub me funny, and it hurts! For the past several months her teeth have been bothering me a lot. Sometimes I'll have to tell her that we can only nurse for a short bit because her teeth hurt me. She'll get all sad faced and say, "I wish I didn't have any teeth ." It makes me feel so bad, but it's so funny .

    It's so hard when we want so desperately to nurse them but for some reason things just don't feel right. Hopefully this will be short lived and you'll feel better soon.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    To some extent I have cut back, but I had been thinking it was just temporary, to give my right breast a break. But now it's been three months. Joe pretty much only nurses at night these days. I would totally offer it a few more times a day if it weren't so painful.
    You sure there's nothing else going on that would be causing all that pain. I've had it for several months now, but, I have an "excuse". You think it's just trauma that has not had the chance to heal? No thrush signs, nothing else weird? What's that other thing...Raynauds or something? Just throwing ideas out there.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    4,984

    Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    You sure there's nothing else going on that would be causing all that pain. I've had it for several months now, but, I have an "excuse". You think it's just trauma that has not had the chance to heal? No thrush signs, nothing else weird? What's that other thing...Raynauds or something? Just throwing ideas out there.
    I didn't think so, but I am starting to wonder. I was thinking I might make up some APNO for myself. Or like I said, see an LC. It doesn't itch or burn like thrush, but it hurts a lot while nursing, which is definitely thrushy. Then last night, that breast was sore, like I had a deep clog, so I still haven't ruled out some kind of bleb/clog/low-grade mastititis type thing. (But again, chicken and egg - I haven't been nursing on that side as much, which could have CAUSED a clog.)

    ETA: My areola feels bruised and sore to the touch. I was seriously wondering - could I have a clog or bleb or infection in my areola? The nipple is actually okay, the areola is pretty tender.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; June 6th, 2011 at 08:12 AM.


    You can call me JoMo!

    Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I didn't think so, but I am starting to wonder. I was thinking I might make up some APNO for myself. Or like I said, see an LC. It doesn't itch or burn like thrush, but it hurts a lot while nursing, which is definitely thrushy. Then last night, that breast was sore, like I had a deep clog, so I still haven't ruled out some kind of bleb/clog/low-grade mastititis type thing. (But again, chicken and egg - I haven't been nursing on that side as much, which could have CAUSED a clog.)

    ETA: My areola feels bruised and sore to the touch. I was seriously wondering - could I have a clog or bleb or infection in my areola? The nipple is actually okay, the areola is pretty tender.
    I'd give it a try and see if it works. Can't hurt right?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    4,984

    Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?

    I think I might have a clogged or infected Montgomery Gland (or actually three). Three of the Montgomery Glands on my right side (below the nipple, so I have to look in a mirror to see them) are inflamed, red, and tender. I'm starting a hard core APNO regime and I'll try to do some massaging in hot water. I really want to avoid having to take antibiotics, but given how long this has been an issue, I'm hoping it's not staph or something ...


    You can call me JoMo!

    Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •