Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nipple pain ... what now?

Default Nipple pain ... what now?

Joe is two years old and we had been nursing happily and painlessly (except some sore times right around my period) for, uh, 20 months. But just last month, before my period, my nipples got really sore. More than usual for PMS. Nursing became downright painful. I expected it to go away once I got AF, but it didn't. And it still hurts, quite a bit, two weeks later. It's weird, it feels like there has been some trauma, but I don't see anything funny. It started out being mostly the right side, but now the left side hurts too! What's up??

SIMMER DOWN LADIES, I AM NOT PREGNANT. No, really, it's not possible. Trust me on this one.

It's not burning like thrush, it just hurts, like I have an injury.

Lazy latch? Or maybe Joe did hurt me, during toddler nursing acrobatics and I just didn't notice?

Sigh. It's annoying. Joe only nurses a four or five times a day and a couple times at night now, but it's pretty annoying. I can handle it, but nursing is no longer cuddly and fun. I don't know what's up.

Any ideas?

TIA.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: Nipple pain ... what now?

Well, ok. Here I was thinking I bet she's pregnant. Do you think it's a lazy latch?

Does it feel anything other than physically uncomfortable? Or does it feel emotionally uncomfortable too? I have heard of that happening to other women when their children are somewhere around 18 months/2 years old.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Just physically uncomfortable. Shoot, I wonder if I'm getting a bleb. Those hurt, right? It feels kind of like a painful pimple on my nipple. I don't see anything, but my nipples are always pretty pink, maybe it's emerging?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I would guess it's just symptomatic of the latch. Maybe start paying more attention? Maybe he scraped you with his teeth a few times and you're healing from that? Have you tried some lanolin?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I was thinking a lazy latch too. Mine has one. Lanolin has helped heal me up...but I still haven't nursed on the injured side. I am trying to wean though.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    I was thinking a lazy latch too. Mine has one. Lanolin has helped heal me up...but I still haven't nursed on the injured side. I am trying to wean though.
    Good idea, I'll try lanolin. Duh! He does kind of "attack" my boobs a lot lately, like a baby shark lunging in for the kill, you know?

You can call me JoMo!

A bleb is a good candidate. They often crop up when the kid is getting lazy w/ his latch or is teething- so, are those 2 year molars popping out yet?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    A bleb is a good candidate. They often crop up when the kid is getting lazy w/ his latch or is teething- so, are those 2 year molars popping out yet?
    Ugh. YES. That is, I don't know, but he's been sleeping like crap, and we've been dosing liberally with Motrin. I'm sure the all-night nursing/thrashing sessions don't help.

You can call me JoMo!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Good idea, I'll try lanolin. Duh! He does kind of "attack" my boobs a lot lately, like a baby shark lunging in for the kill, you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Ugh. YES. That is, I don't know, but he's been sleeping like crap, and we've been dosing liberally with Motrin. I'm sure the all-night nursing/thrashing sessions don't help.
    I know what you mean . And the all-night nursing sessions always left me sore too. Does he understand how to be gentle yet? I'm sure DD didn't at that age.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

blebs really hurt but mine I can see...I think you'd be able to see something.

My nipples are so tender during my period too. I can't imagine feeling like this every day and still nursing often.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.