Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Long, sorry! My 14mo is reverse weening.

Question Long, sorry! My 14mo is reverse weening.

I NEED HELP!!!!! I am nursing my son who is almost 15 months old. My nursing experience with him has been great other than frequent mastitis. He latched properly from five minutes after birth and has been nursing like a champ ever since. I have been so in love with nursing him that I have made some mistakes that have come back to haunt me. I am a stay at home mom with only one other child who is 11 so it is pretty much just me and my 1 year old most of the time. In the beginning I never wanted to put him down, he would fall asleep nursing and then sleep in my lap while I took in his perfection. Then at just 2-3 weeks old colic kicked in. He just has not been a good sleeper from the start and he always wanted human contact to fall, and stay, asleep. With him being so colicky for so many months I gave in, I would have let him sleep on the roof for some silence! He has nursed to sleep every nap he has ever taken, every night to bed, and during the night to go back to sleep. And we co-sleep. He has NEVER come anywhere close to sleeping through the night and he cries the second his feet touch a crib mattress. I am Ok with nursing for a few more months, 18 months would be ideal, but that is not strict. So I wouldn't be freaking out other than the fact that he is nursing more and more and more! He wants to stay latched on the majority of the night, he must stay latched on for 20-60 minutes AFTER falling asleep before I can unlatch him, and there are times when I can't ever get him out of my lap and unlatched withou him waking up and crying. Used to I at least just had to nurse him to sleep, now he wants to nurse THE WHOLE TIME HE SLEEPS! It is so stressful because it is getting worse instead of better. The way i have to sleep while he nurses is really hurting my back and shoulder. He wants nothing to do with a bottle or pacifier. And cry it out is not an option. Also what is frustrating is if I try to get him to sleep or back to sleep without nursing he gets seriously hysterical, and then he falls asleep 2 seconds after latching back on, but the 3-4 times I have tried flat out refusing him, the screaming went on for well over an hour before I gave in. BUT if I'm out and he is with his dad or my mother at bedtime and he knows I'm not here then he crawls into their laps at bedtime and quietly goes to sleep, so it makes it seem like he is making a choice to be this way, at least as much as a one year old can. So I have written you a novel, I'm sorry, but I need help, I don't expect an overnight solution, but I just need to know if there is anything I can do without traumatizing my son....help

Default Re: Long, sorry! My 14mo is reverse weening.

Is it possible he's teething? Does he have his one year molars yet? He might just be having a rough time and looking for some more comfort.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I was in a similar situation a few months back. I'm a SAHM, always nursed him to sleep, he was constantly latched on while sleeping, my back was killing me, etc. My son (13 months) now sleeps approx. 7pm to 7am in his crib in his room. He still takes a 2.5 hr nap on me during the day because we both enjoy it.

My situation is slightly different because we recently moved to a place with no family and have just started to make friends. So, I didn't have a place for him to fall asleep other than my husband, who works about 50 hrs a week and goes to night school for his Master's. I don't see him much. So, I had to do a combo of Ferber and Weissbluth. I was starting to drift off while driving one day--things HAD TO CHANGE.

For you, I would suggest just let him fall asleep with other people as much as you can. Get out of the room and let him sleep with DH. He needs to get used to sleeping without your breast. You can also try Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution for the technique of slowly getting him to unlatch after he's asleep. You repeatedly take him off the breast and gently close his mouth until he gives up trying to latch back on.

Good luck!! I feel your frustration If you have any more questions about what I did, or why I did it, feel free to ask. I didn't go too much into it because it sounds like your wanting to go a different route

One more thing: It is important to get him to the point where he can go to sleep on his own. I had a very bad clogged duct this weekend. I was able to go into his room every 2 hrs and nurse him through the night, and he went right back to sleep each time. No fussing
    Last edited by @llli*jackaroos.mom; May 10th, 2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: One more thing!

I had to run off before. But I wanted to tell you that with my first I had success with Dr Jay Gordon's Night weaning method. We took it much slower than his plan but it worked for us with my DD.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My situation was very similar to yours, although my DH wasn't colicky---she just got used to falling asleep while nursing!

We just night-weaned her a few weeks ago at 14 months with great success. Funnily enough, she was also ramping up her night feedings (every hour!) which is what led us to night weaning, sort of by accident. My DH suggested I sleep in the extra room for one night so I could get some sleep (I was falling apart from lack of sleep!), which started us on the night weaning path. That led to two more nights away from the family bed for me (once I got a taste of normal sleep again, I didn't want to give it up!). He bottle-fed her for three nights before I was back in bed, at which point I began other comfort measures, no nursing. Three nights later, she was sleeping through the night.

Here's the link to the Gordon method:

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

I think this is my fourth posting regarding night weaning---I'm afraid I'm getting a little evangelical about it, LOL! But I think chronic sleep deprivation is dangerous and should be taken seriously. IMO, the Gordon method is not exactly cry-it-out, because someone is always physically there, patting, snuggling, etc., so baby is never alone.