Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I accept pumping in the bathroom?

Post Re: Should I accept pumping in the bathroom?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Also, if your pump can be powered with a battery pack, you should bring that with you and make sure that it has fresh batteries in it... just in case you do get a non-bathroom place to pump, but it doesn't have a power outlet handy.
    Good call! I will make sure to do that! Now I just have to figure out how to use the battery pack

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firefly View Post
    with PPs. Is it during a game? If not, then there should be NO problem finding someplace that isn't where people go to empty their bladders and move their bowels. Just saying. Even if there is a game, Buff's suggestion of the first aid room is a great idea.
    It's not during a game so yeah, it should be easy to find another spot...
    Stephanie
    Proud mama to Aya born at home Oct. 2010
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always

Default Re: Should I accept pumping in the bathroom?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    i pumped in a bathroom for 14 months. Not ideal by any stretch but we made it. If you're freaked out by it, then certainly demand something else. But it certainly wont be the end of the world if that's what ends up being available.
    You are correct... if the bathroom is the absolute only option, it can be done and isn't the end of the world. I will admit, I have pumped in the bathroom when it was the absolute only option (case in point, I was at the airport about 1.5 months ago and had to pump, and for airport security reasons they couldn't let me in another private area... but I did ask! LOL)...but I think in the OP's case, I would almost bet there are several other suitable non-bathroom places for her to pump.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I think this is more about the concept then the reality.

You wouldn't fix a lunch in the bathroom so why should you have to pump there. I know it can be done, just like there are moms out there that never NIP. However it should not be expected that you, or any other mom, use the bathroom.

Standing up for yourself may even help out that other new mom. Maybe she still doesn't know her rights?

What ever happens I'm sure you'll be fine. You're not being a snob or hard to get along with. This is important and you have every right to kick up a fuss.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I spent the first few months with my first DD pumping in a bathroom, while you can do it, I wouldn't again. Going in there after or while someones 'making the room stinky' isn't fun. I went to an all day rock concert at a local outdoor arena when I was still pumping with my older one. They had me 'check in' the pump at the aid station and gave me a private room to pump in, one of the aid rooms, I think. I would think that they could come up with something better than a public bathroom at a stadium. If they have the whole stadium, there's got to be private rooms with power for 'big wigs' that you could use. Remind them that it's not just a good idea, it's the law!

What is the law? is it state dependent?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    What is the law? is it state dependent?
    It's a federal law, recently passed. Here's a link to some more info: http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/H...9/Default.aspx

Basically, if the company has more than 50 employees, they have to provide somewhere that 'isn't a bathroom' and reasonable breaks for a mother to pump for the first year.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*efifer View Post
    It's a federal law, recently passed. Here's a link to some more info: http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/H...9/Default.aspx

Basically, if the company has more than 50 employees, they have to provide somewhere that 'isn't a bathroom' and reasonable breaks for a mother to pump for the first year.
    I was just coming to Post that site. Also, if you are in Colorado, there is no where you cannot pump or breastfeed. If you are legally allowed to be there you can pump or breastfeed. Do not let anyone tell you different

Well, it may be federal law that your employer has to provide a place to pump, but I don't think it's the law that anywhere you go while you are employed must also provide you a non-bathroom location to pump.

That being said, I do think you should be able to find an alternative. If it were the only option though, I would pump in a bathroom.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Well, it may be federal law that your employer has to provide a place to pump, but I don't think it's the law that anywhere you go while you are employed must also provide you a non-bathroom location to pump.

That being said, I do think you should be able to find an alternative. If it were the only option though, I would pump in a bathroom.
    I'm not sure they have to provide a place anywhere you go, I agree. I'd ask if they can find something nicer, but worse case I'd use the bathroom.

Post Re: Should I accept pumping in the bathroom?

So this is annoying. I responded to my coworker's email back on Tuesday morning, kindly asking if she could look into "an office or box or first aid room or something" as an alternative to the bathroom. She never responded - no email back to say she's looking into it, no words in passing, nothing. So first thing this morning I emailed her and copied her supervisor to ask if there was any luck with it, and have not heard from either of them!

I'm starting to think they are going to ignore it as long as possible, until there is no time left for them to look into it and then I'll have no choice but to pump in the bathroom.
    Stephanie
    Proud mama to Aya born at home Oct. 2010
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always