Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I accept pumping in the bathroom?

Post Should I accept pumping in the bathroom?

Next week for work we have a special event in the evening that I am required to attend/work. I let my coworkers planning the event know that I would need time and space to pump (and I requested not the bathroom), and they have been very nice about it. The event is being held in a major league baseball stadium and it seems there are limited private areas available for pumping.

I was told that there will be a private staff room that has its own fridge and bathroom. The bathroom has stalls, so other female staff may come in and out. My coworker said she talked to a woman who works at the stadium who recently had a baby and is also pumping, and the woman said she would be okay with pumping in the bathroom. I'm a little skeeved by the idea of pumping in a bathroom, even a private one, for sanitary reasons and the purpose of the thing. I also don't think I would be able to relax to pump enough, knowing that someone could walk in. I'm not super modest, but I know I would get uncomfortable and therefore not be able to pump as easily.

But I don't want to make a huge deal and demand my own pristine room. What would you all do? I'm guessing I'll have to pump 3-4 times. My baby is 7 months old. TIA!
    Stephanie
    Proud mama to Aya born at home Oct. 2010
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always

Default Re: Should I accept pumping in the bathroom?

I am a pumping snob, so I would demand my own pristine room. And I have done so in the past on more than one occasion. If I were you, I'd press the issue... see if there are any alternatives to pumping in the bathroom... perhaps there is someone who will let you use their private office (I have used my boss's private office to pump...) There have been several instances where my initial request for a room to pump was answered with "pump in the bathroom, that's where all the other pumping moms do it." And I have refused and kept pressing the issue, and my request was granted for a non-bathroom place to pump.

Also, I know in places like a baseball stadium there are often "first aid" rooms where they will let you pump. I recall once when I was nursing my DD, we attended a major league baseball game in the July heat, it was about 175 degrees outside, HOT! I wanted to get her cooled off and nurse her, so I went to the first aid room, where they had beds and chairs with a curtain/divider up for privacy. So they let me sit in there with my DD and nurse her. Maybe you could ask for a room like that?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Or there are tons of private boxes that you may be able to use. I wouldn't use a bathroom.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I agree with PPs... you should ask again. I would think of a bathroom as an absolute last report. Plus you are pumping several times. Just be very matter of fact about it. No need to be rude but you can explain that this is something you need, not a luxury. Maybe offer suggestions like and office, the first aid room etc so they cannot just say they dont have anything.

Can you call the stadium yourself and find out about their first aid facilities? That way if they still point you towards the bathroom you'll already know about what they have available and can find it yourself without telling anyone. Maybe too sneaky?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Also, if your pump can be powered with a battery pack, you should bring that with you and make sure that it has fresh batteries in it... just in case you do get a non-bathroom place to pump, but it doesn't have a power outlet handy.

ETA: Or as another option... will you be driving there? It might not be as convenient since it might be a long distance to walk from your event, but you could always go out to your car and pump... I have done that before when there wasn't a better option. But at least it wasn't the bathroom.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Post Re: Should I accept pumping in the bathroom?

Thanks ladies! I just asked my coworker to look into an office or box or first aid room, so hopefully she gets back soon and I'll stand my ground! I explained that I'm preparing my baby's meals and the bathroom is unsanitary... hopefully that helps.
    Stephanie
    Proud mama to Aya born at home Oct. 2010
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always

i pumped in a bathroom for 14 months. Not ideal by any stretch but we made it. If you're freaked out by it, then certainly demand something else. But it certainly wont be the end of the world if that's what ends up being available.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

with PPs. Is it during a game? If not, then there should be NO problem finding someplace that isn't where people go to empty their bladders and move their bowels. Just saying. Even if there is a game, Buff's suggestion of the first aid room is a great idea.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I agree that all those options are good, but I'll agree with jbean and say that I pump in the bathroom ALL the time. It's not so bad. Granted, I only use a hand pump when I only have 5 minutes, so I'd rather maximize pumping time than walking to a better spot.

But this situation sounds like there are alot of good opportunities for a good spot