Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding after pumping

Default breastfeeding after pumping

My son is 3 months old and I've only recently (within the last 2 weeks) been able to latch him successfully. I was able to exclusively pump until that point, so he has only had breastmilk and I have a pretty good freezer supply going. While ep-ing, I had mastitis twice and since the second round of it, most of my pumped supply has come from my right side (I get 1 ounce on the left, 4-5 on the right when I pump).

The baby is now nursing (with a shield) roughly every 2 hours during the day. He seems to nurse just fine on the side that gives very little when I pump. At night, he sleeps from about 7 until 4 am, which seems like way too long for a 3 month old baby to go without nursing. We've been giving a pumped bottle at the 4am feeding (I want to use the oldest frozen milk and freeze newer milk so my stash isn't too old when he starts daycare in September). Weight gain has been fine, but until two weeks ago, we were giving pumped bottles and I knew how much he was getting. He continues to make plenty of wet and poopy diapers.

So my questions: should I be waking him in the middle of that long stretch? My older son was still nursing every 3 to 4 hours at this age so this giant stretch worries me, both for the baby getting enough to eat and my supply. How about pumping? I'm pumping during that 4am bottle (my LC suggests I pump to empty at least once a day while using the shields because of my recurring mastitis) but do I need to set an alarm and pump at 1am too? Finally, should I be offering the low supply breast first or switching back and forth with which I offer first?

Thanks.

Default Re: breastfeeding after pumping

At three months I personally would let the baby sleep. Your body and supply will adjust. As for pumping, I don't think I would get up to pump at 1 unless you feel your supply has dropped lower than what the baby needs or unless it is just to relieve engorgement (not to empty).

For offering the low supply breast first. What I generally did was a 2:1 ratio. I'd start with the lower supply breast twice for every one time I'd start with the higher supply one. But I wasn't concerned with making more milk, just keeping myself comfortable.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness