Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this mastitis, yet?

Default Is this mastitis, yet?

Yesterday I noticed the clogged duct--red spot on breast, hard/lumpy bump.

I've been doing everything I always do to clear it: tons of water, lecithin, vitamin c, rest, heat, massage, etc. Took raw garlic (I'm up to 7 cloves for today) because of the redness.

The redness is spreading and my breast hurts. I have a script for dicloxacillin that my OB said to fill if I got a fever. I'm a little concerned that the redness is spreading with all of the nursing we've been doing (about every hour). My breast is very empty feeling except for the sore area.

Would you start taking the abx, yet? If not, how long would you wait? I don't feel that bad--no chills, aches, headache, etc. I just don't like the way it looks. I should probably also mention that I have a galactocele right next to all of this that is tender as well. Maybe it's complicating things?

TIA

Edit: the biggest problem is that my son is way too busy to stay on my breast for very long. He empties it, but when he was smaller he would stay on for such a long time that clogged ducts always resolved quickly. The older he gets, the more difficult it is to clear clogged ducts. DH is wondering if it's time to wean? Bah.

Last detail: I have extremely fair, almost translucent skin and small breasts. Maybe it's just easier to see the infection without fatty tissue hiding it?
    Last edited by @llli*jackaroos.mom; May 9th, 2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: forgot something

Default Re: Is this mastitis, yet?

Mastitis has set in when you feel the flu symptoms. You are definitely doing all the right things to keep it from progressing though. I think if you do start to feel the aches and chills it would be wise to take the abx. Hope you feel better soon, mastitis stinks!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Thank you for replying! I waited to get the abx, kept nursing, prayed, and the redness is gone this morning!

Good news!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold