Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO's Belly is HUGE!!!

Default LO's Belly is HUGE!!!

And I mean HUGE!!! Is that normal? She doesn't seem uncomfortable or gassy. I BF her, could I be overfeeding her? I BF every 2 to 3 hours and she stays on the breast any where from 10 - 18 minutes.

Thanks
    Last edited by @llli*ftminmv; May 9th, 2011 at 06:06 PM.

Default Re: LO's Belly is HUGE!!!

Babies' bellies really are big. I think it's their livers that are disproportionately big, but I'm not sure. How old is your LO? And is her belly significantly bigger than that of other babies?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

has it been a while since she has had a bowel movement? amybe she is just backed up or is like this all the time?
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

She is 3 weeks. Not real sure if it is bigger then others, I guess I have never noticed on other babies. Every time I change her I just see her big belly and I am now starting to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manddbp View Post
    has it been a while since she has had a bowel movement? amybe she is just backed up or is like this all the time?
    It's like this all the time.

It's probably normal mama. Baby's have big tummys. Has the Ped mentioned anything?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I called and she asked if she was gassy - I said I didn't think so since she is not having gas or fussy and uncomfortable. I think I will go in tomorrow just to put my mind at rest.

I think it's normal but it's a great idea to see your ped if it will give you peace of mind
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

I'm glad you're going in, if only to set your mind at ease. I'm sure it's normal- babies really do have odd proportions compared to children and adults and it takes some getting used to, especially if you haven't been around newborns all that much.

Just FYI: you can't overfeed a breastfed baby. When a baby nurses, she is in charge of her intake. As soon as she feels full, she transitions from eager, intense, nutritive suckling to gentle comfort sucking, and the flow of milk slows or stops, preventing the baby from becoming overfull. This is different from bottle-feeding, in which the adult is in charge of the feeding (tipping the bottle up, wiggling it, perhaps actively trying to get the baby to finish up her meal), and the bottle delivers the same rapid milk flow regardless of whether the baby is sucking eagerly for food, or just sucking lazily for comfort.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"