Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DH Handling a Feeding

Default Re: DH Handling a Feeding

I did it. AND I co-slept. It wasn't a "night feed". It was for the 2hour break I needed to be able to feed on demand all night long those early weeks. I didn't start until about 5 weeks PP. I pumped first thing every morning. BEFORE I fed him. I had enough milk that I didn't need that feeding. And I wanted a nap. But I did the clusterfeeds from 12-5am. Lots of options.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I totally agree that it's sort of a risky proposition, in terms of supply and the possibility of plugged ducts or engorgement... I just don't think it's a guaranteed bad idea. I personally wouldn't do it, precisely because of the reasons above and because co-sleeping is generally so much easier! But on the other hand, not everyone feels comfortable co-sleeping or can make co-sleeping work, and some people do introduce a bottle fairly early and have it work out. It's just one of those "If you do it, be careful, go slow, be prepared to reverse course" situations.
    i agree. I tried letting my LO go longer and not pumping because I went back to work at five weeks PP. I was a zombie so I wanted to skip a night session if he slept through. For us, it did not work. I really needed to either nurse or to pump at that time. My supply would dip immediately if i left out night time feedings.

I don't know if you're going back to work, but the last thing I would want to do is pump an extra bottle when i could be nursing. Also, you don't have to be cosleeping to feed your baby at night. I only coslept for about six months and now at 16 months (starting at 6) i have a nice little bed made for us in the middle of the night next to his crib. Until VERY recently, even if he didn't wake up naturally I would go in around 2am and do a little "dream feed" -- when i first went back to work i would only nurse on one side and then pump the other side after nursing to have enough for the next day/be able to store some for later. Either way, I would be super cautious about going that long without nursing (another thing -- going that long without nursing can be a major factor in the return of your period. Not great, unless you want that!)
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I totally agree that it's sort of a risky proposition, in terms of supply and the possibility of plugged ducts or engorgement... I just don't think it's a guaranteed bad idea. I personally wouldn't do it, precisely because of the reasons above and because co-sleeping is generally so much easier! But on the other hand, not everyone feels comfortable co-sleeping or can make co-sleeping work, and some people do introduce a bottle fairly early and have it work out. It's just one of those "If you do it, be careful, go slow, be prepared to reverse course" situations.
    Ok I can definitely agree with this
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Ok I can definitely agree with this
    Ahhh, now I feel the love again!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"