Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis and not latching HELP!

Default Mastitis and not latching HELP!

I am a new mom of my second boy. I had alot of dificulty breast feeding with the first one and gave up after 2 months. I was super excited to try again and am feeling very discouraged only after 2 weeks!

My son will be 2 weeks tomorow and I have developed Mastiits in my left breast. I had to stop feeding from the actual breast for 2 days because I was so ill and in so much pain. I did however continue to pump. I was expressing a good amount of milk and try to relatch him on after I felt better but I can not get him onto the left breast. I have been latching him onto the right side and pumping the left side. The right side is producing about 4 oz and the left is pumping less than 1 oz and there is alot of thick mucus like matter coming out.

I don't know what to do. My husband is not very encouraging my friends don't understand and I am very upset about the thought of giving up. I have tried all the positions and the heat, warm baths, massaging, pumping... I need someone to help. If anyone can do so please lend some helpful words.

Thank you!

Default Re: Mastitis and not latching HELP!

Momma. Mastitis veteran here to tell you that you can do this, I promise!

When you say he's not latching on that side do you mean that it's too engorged for him to get a good latch or that he just won't latch entirely?

If you are engorged pumping will not help unless you only just pump a teeny bit to take off the pressure. Everytime you pump to empty your breast you signal your body to make more milk. Here is info on engorgement:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html

If you truly have mastitis you need to go see your OB to get on antibiotics to prevent the infection from coming back. I had it 9 times with my first son b/c I didn't know that. Don't make my same mistake!! Sometimes you can just call in with your symptoms and they will call a Rx in for you. But don't delay, call your OB.

Warm showers worked wonders for me. I would stand in there and let the water heat up my breast and then use my hand to pump milk out. Cup your breast near your chest and then slowly squeeze down to the nipple. I know it hurts to go over the blocked duct but it's important to work out that knot. You might see thick or even a solid plug come out but just keep it up.

Another thing that is wonderful is to dangle feed which is just what it sounds. Lay your baby on the floor and get on your hands and knees over him. Dangle your breast above him, latch him on and let gravity do it's work. It sounds weird but it does work. You gotta get that block out.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

How is it going today momma? Did you get a chance to call your doc?
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I don't have a lot of advice with regards to mastitis, but I just want to reiterate that you can get through this! 2 months is a very common time for mamas to give up, because those first months can be so hard, and 2 weeks is also a very common time to give up for the same reason. I was within a hair's breadth of giving up at two weeks, myself, but I'm so glad I stuck with it! After two months, breastfeeding got infinitely easier for us.

I really recommend that you see the doctor as soon as possible. My own experience with mastitis is that I had it around two months, but was under so much pressure that I ignored it until my left breast was too misshapen and hard for DD to latch onto. I finally went to the doctor who told me I had an abscess that would need to be surgically drained. I ended up weaning DD off that breast, but am continuing to nurse her on the other. So even in what felt like the worst of circumstances, we made it through! Don't let anyone tell you that it's not important enough to keep persevering. It's YOUR breastfeeding relationship with your son, not your husband's or your friends'. You can always come here for any help or encouragement you need.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Thank you so much ladies. I have been on the antibiotics for a few days now. I can't get the baby to latch onto the left side at all. He is getting onto the right side. I don't know why he can't latch to the left. It's funny because he was latching better to the left in the hospital. I am just very discouraged at this point because when I pump I get 5 oz from the right and only 1 oz from the left. So when I breast feed him I have to give him a bottle to finish feeding him then pump the left side because it becomes engorged after trying to latch him. And he starts screaming which then makes my husband come in the rooma nd then he tells me just give him formula and then I become emotional, so really my problem is my emotions. I really want to continue it I just don't feel like I am doing it the way I am supposed to be. But I will hang in thank to you guys! I appreciate the boost in morale!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmamaof3 View Post
    How is it going today momma? Did you get a chance to call your doc?
    I have actually been on the antibiotics for a few days now. It has made the breast better but still cant latch him on. I am still trying! Thanks for checking in on me! I appreciate it!

How are things going now, mama?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

:

I've been there mama...and it is not a good feeling at all. I had mastitis 5 times in 10 weeks - on antibiotics every time.

So - one thing you can do to help make the flow better is take a hot shower, and take a wide-toothed comb and run it over a bar of soap to make it slippery, then comb it over your breast...focusing extra on the areas with clogs or the bright red patch. It is a "hurt so good" type of feeling, but totally worth it. The teeth of the comb are big enough to massage well, but smaller than your fingers so more precise.

Also, my son wouldn't latch on my right side (the side I always got mastitis on)...but it was because of an overactive letdown and oversupply. He grew to be anxious of the choking and sputtering and gulping. So I pumped just to get through the letdown and then would latch him - so he learned that it wasn't a bad experience afterall.

If you don't have that problem, one thing you can also try to do that worked for me on occasion is to hold the baby as if you were nursing the other side...then just slide him over. This way - his head and body is fooled into thinking he is on the other breast. It's a little tricky & easier with a pillow to help support - but it worked like a charm!

Hang in there. I almost gave up so many times...it didn't go smoothly for me until 12 weeks, and it didn't become easy until about 5 months..but it is SO SO worth it. I know 2 months seems like a long time, and that it should be easier by then....but in the big picture - if you nurse until 12 months...that's 6 times as long as the rocky period. You CAN do this and your little ones are so lucky that you are as dedicated as you are.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.