Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 weeks, spitting up

Default 3 weeks, spitting up

Hello! Charlotte and I are new to the board...

My little one is 3 weeks and we've been breastfeeding exclusivly for 3 days now. I've found that she keeps spitting up when we burp and the last few times it's been coming through the nose. Any need for alarm?? She doesn't seem to spit up when we feed with a bottle.

Default Re: 3 weeks, spitting up

I had the same problem. My problem was my let down came down too fast and he was taking in alot of air. If you pump first then nurse, your baby will not spit up so much. I know it is exhausting and yo can't do it every time but it helps. My baby belched and spit up until around 3-4 months old. Hope this helps.

Default Re: 3 weeks, spitting up

Welcome to jessm, and congratulations on your new baby and on 3 days of exclusive breastfeeding!

It can look alarming when a young baby spits up (especially the through-the-nose version). But it is not harmful to the baby to spit up milk. Sometimes mothers worry that ALL the milk seems to be coming back up. Just watch her diaper output to be certain she is getting enough (and keeping it down). There should be 5-6 wet disposable diapers (more if you use cloth diapers), and 2-3 soiled diapers in each 24-hour period.

It is possible, as the previous poster mentioned, that a rapid letdown of milk can lead to extra spitting up. Pumping before nursing, however, may only make this problem worse in the long run. Overactive letdown is usually part of an oversupply (too much milk) issue, and unnecessary pumping will increase your supply instead of letting your body get into sync with the baby's needs.

Spitting up is more of a laundry problem than anything else, so long as your baby is healthy and usually contented otherwise. Don't worry about, and keep up the great work as a new exclusively breastfeeding momma!

--Rebecca