Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle and BFing - Please Help...

Default Bottle and BFing - Please Help...

Hello! When my LO turns 4 weeks next week, we plan on introducing her to a bottle once or twice a day. For two reasons...so my DH can join in on the feeding and to prepare her for when I return to work. I currently BF exclusively and when she feeds, it is off one breast per feeding. So, can someone please let me know... 1. How often should I pump or when should I? 2. How many ounces per bottle should she be fed (we don't know her current weight)? 3. What is the best way to know that both the fore milk and the hind milk are in the bottle?

THANKS!!

Default Re: Bottle and BFing - Please Help...

1. How often should I pump or when should I?
    If she is only going to get one bottle every so often, just pump whenever you can. My husband would feed my LO a bottle at night when I was recovering from my C-section. I was still pumping after every feeding to ensure a good supply so there was plenty. If its going to be an everyday thing make sure you are pumping at least once a day to replace that feeding. You don't want to lose your supply.

2. How many ounces per bottle should she be fed (we don't know her current weight)?
    Breastfed babies will usually take 1-2oz per feeding. This doesn't change when your baby gets bigger. Your milk will mature with your baby so don't worry if you don't make more milk as your baby gets bigger.

3. What is the best way to know that both the fore milk and the hind milk are in the bottle?
    Take those words and toss them out!!! Your milk will transition as you pump just like it does as you feed. As long as you are not trying to space out feedings you should be fine. People have problems with fore/hind milk when they have to seperate the feedings longer then their body and their babies need. Feed your little one as often as they want, and as often as you want.

Check out pages 24-26.
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...et_toolkit.pdf
    Especailly page 26.

Congrats on your new baby!!!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!