Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: congestion at 5 weeks

Default congestion at 5 weeks

Hi all. My son is 5 weeks old and he is getting really congested. Only a 99.3 fever and sometimes none, at first it was yellow congestion now it is clear... Could allergies to animals show this late??

Default Re: congestion at 5 weeks

While I am not sure about allergies to animals, my daughter had some yellow congestion as well but at around 6-7 weeks. Her doctor told us that it was the winter air and suggested a cool mist humidifier. The humidifier has seemed to fix her stuffiness. Good luck!

I believe any fever in a newborn is something to take seriously. Have you called your baby's doctor about these symptoms?

I don't know about pet allergies, but I would first focus on ruling out illness or infection.

--Rebecca

I agree, do not take a fever lightly. Was it rectal or under the arm? If it was under the arm, you need to add a degree.

My daughter had congestion at 6 weeks but no fever and recovered quickly. Now, at 3 months, we just recovered from a bout of RSV (thankfully no hospital visit was needed, she was a trooper). She had clear mucous (no yellow), but tons of is, and a low grade fever (99.1 under arm) for 5 days.

Let us know how your little one is doing and what doc. says.
    Tracy

How is your little one doing? Did the congestion clear up?

please call the ped..I've just been through this with my 5 week old daughter who was diagnosed with a mild form of RSV and an ear infection. It's just that time of year and better to be safe than sorry, IMO.
    My DD is a pretty content baby and other than her being stuffy and then snotty, I would not have ever known something could be wrong.
    Could be worth a quick call

I remember taking my baby's temperature and calling the pediatrician and inquiring about a 99.1 temp. He reminded me that 98.6 is average and a temperature that is that close to average is not necessarily a fever. It also is important how you take a temp. I definitely recommend you take a rectal temp to get an accurate reading. You can always call the ped if you are concerned. If they are not concerned, then the cool mist humidifer home treatment another poster suggested will help tremendously.

Unfortunately, it is cold/flu season, so you're bound to see some kind of virus before it's over. Breastfeed often to help keep him hydrated. Breastfeeding will usually help babies recover more quickly. If he's too congested to nurse, try using saline or breastmilk in the nose to loosen the secretions (let it sit for a minute or two) then suction it out. Most viruses run their course in 7-10 days.

Allergies can often come up later after prolonged exposure to the offending allergen. If it is allergies, it will likely recur. Sometimes it's animals, sometimes it's dust and other times it's seasonal. Allergies can also happen from dairy in your diet, but you would probably have seen other sensitivities with the congestion.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

How is your little one today? When we were discharged from the hospital they said to call if the temp was ever under 97.7 and over 100.5. Until under that or over that really no need to worry. Babies can have an elevated temp for many reasons. One being that they are wrapped or dresses a bit too warmly etc. Also if mom or dad have been holding them while they sleep our body temp can make theirs rise also. My LC once told me that a "cold" baby is actually just as serious as a hot one. With it being cold and flue season I would def call your doctor just be sure that is not RSV or something like that. In the meantime I would use breast milk or salt water nose drops and suction often. Also a humidifier is helpful, you might want to elevate her bed/your bed etc so that they stuffs drain properly. Good Luck!

My little one had sinus congestion from weeks 4 to 6, ped said "it was going around," all five of his children had "it" and recommended a humidifier be used in her room when the heater was in use to help moisten the dry air.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.