Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What the heck!?

Unhappy What the heck!?

My LO is 3 moths old and she just recently started doing this really weird, and painful, thing while nursing. She starts out ok but a couple mins or sometimes even just seconds into it she starts just turning her head away with my nipple in her mouth. This results in her ripping herself off of me. She does it and immediatley re-latches and just keeps coming off and on over and over again. I have no clue why she is dooing this and what I can do to get her to stop, but I am getting sooooo sore form the constant ripping off and relatching. Its almost like she wants to eat but doesnt want to. She seems so agressive like she is hungry but just cant stay focused or doesnt want to suck for some reason. Any advice or ideas what may be going on? She has also been extra fussy the past week or so and she seems to be getting more gassy to probably because of swallowong so much air doing this. Its so hard, just when we were finally settling into a good nursing relationship- now we have a new hurtle to overcome.

Default Re: What the heck!?

Some reasons babies pull off the breast:
    - to cope w/ a rapid letdown
    - to cope w/ a slow letdown
    - distractibility
    - ear infection
    - teething

Any of those seem like possibilities?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

go with destractable and teething. my LO does it too. like invisible dust particals are talking to her and she turns to them when its meal time. painful yes, but once the letdown hits she focuses on the nursing.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Well as for the fast/slow letdown Im not sure if thats it because she does it pretty much the whole time. She also does it even when we are nursing in bed at night when there is little to distract her so Im not sure if that is it either. But I have been really wondering if she is starting to teethe lately. She eats her hands and toys a lot, which I also hear is pretty common at her age even if not teething. She also drools and wakes and squirms a lot at night. She has been pretty fussy so Im wondering if I should take her to the pediatrician to make sure she doesnt have an ear infection. what other symptoms/signs indicate ear infection?

Symptoms of ear infection can include fever, irritability, baby tugging at their ears, trouble nursing. Or none of the above. My son has had ear infections twice now and and we only found out because he happened to have a bad cough at the same time. If you think teething is the culprit you can try a dose of tylenol or teething tablets before nursing to see if that helps.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

anything and nothing can distract them. its anoying but meh
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing