Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaving 18mo for 10 days- wean? Getting touched out.

Default leaving 18mo for 10 days- wean? Getting touched out.

Hi ladies. My DH and I are taking our honeymoon finally for 10 days. Our daughter will be 18 months and staying with each of our parents for a few days. I'm wondering if I should wean her- like just let my milk dry up while I'm away and that's it? The thing is- I really love breastfeeding but I'm getting a little touched out. My DD is an all night nurser and pretty much an all day one too! I mean she has her days that she gets really busy and doesn't nurse but as a whole she loves the boobie! We cosleep too- she never liked the crib, and she is one of those kids that loves to fall asleep with the boob in the mouth. Let me add though that I work part time and she spends a day a week each with my mother, MIL, and sometimes my dad or sister and they can get her to sleep without the boob. She has had 3 test run sleepovers with my mom, dad, and MIL and it went fine- she woke up a few times during the night looking for boob and they comforted her back to sleep, sometimes with bottle and sometimes not. She is also a restless sleeper, doing 360's in the bed all night long. Sorry this is so long! I am just getting touched out too. I love to breastfeed but I can't sleep through her feeding at night anymore because of her teeth and the twiddling of my other nipple is getting really uncomfortable! Just looking for advice!
    exclusively ,We and and eager to learn more!

Default Re: leaving 18mo for 10 days- wean? Getting touched out.

If you were able to cut back on the amount of nursing, particularly at night, would you feel better about continuing? You might try starting a nightweaning process now (depending how long you have before your trip). A lot of mamas here, me included, have had success with the Dr. Jay Gordon method. Your baby is old enough at this point to learn nursing manners and for you to set limits on nursing so that it is a relationship you are BOTH comfortable with.

Whatever you decide I would not leave on your trip with no way to pump, that could lead to plugged ducts or mastitis, which is not something you will want to deal with on vacation.

Congrats on the honeymoon!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I second the Jay Gordon method, if you're interested in night weaning. It worked GREAT for us, so much better than I hoped.

We night weaned about two weeks ago---my daughter was a little over 14 mos. She was also an all-night nurser (co-sleeping), and the lack of sleep was really starting to affect my health! Anyway, just having nights back, and normal sleep back, really helped strengthen my resolve to keep going with (day!)nursing... Not to mention I now have energy to get some exercise, PLAY more with DD, cook real dinners, etc.

Maybe night weaning could help you decide if you're ready to wean completely...

Thanks Ladies. I checked out the method and I am going to show it to DH and see if he is on board. We have a 1 BR apt. Did either of you cosleep? Were your husbands in the room through all this? I'm thinking of asking him if he would like to sleep out on the couch while I do this so he isn't so tired for work.

I am nervous! Wish me luck! (With the night weaning, not talking to my husband LOL) I'll let you know how it goes.

I did it while cosleeping part time. But my daughter also had a bed in her room that we used to sleep on sometimes too. It was nice to have that separate space. Good luck! Let us know how it's going or if you have any problems.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We do cosleep, and what worked for us was for ME to first sleep in the extra room for three nights while my husband bottle-fed, then we switched off so my husband could catch up on sleep, and I started other comfort measures, no nursing.

The first night of me sleeping elsewhere was the most challenging---DD cried for about 20-30 minutes before she took the bottle from DH and snuggled up to him (I of course was peeking around the corner---it was rough!). She woke several times after that, with similarly lengthy crying sessions. Second and third nights with DH she only cried for a minute or so on waking before she took the bottle and "bottle-nursed" back to sleep.

Fourth night, once I was back in bed, I patted and crooned through approx. 4 min. of crying (NO BOOB!), maybe 4-5 times. Fifth night just two wakings that lasted less than a minute each, patting and crooning. Sixth night, she slept through the night! So in all, six nights to go from waking every hour to sleeping through the night.

I think it helped to have those first three nights with DH bottle feeding her, so she was used to no boob by the time I was back in bed.

I would suggest starting on a night in which no one needs to wake early/go to work the next morning. If your husband can actively participate, so much the better. If you've been the one waking to nurse all this time, I'd say you deserve it!

I can't say enough good things about this method. It's so far from "cry-it-out," which is what I was afraid of. Someone is always physically there, patting, snuggling, soothing. Baby knows she's not alone... And it's been great for my husband, too, to feel more included and more sure of his abilities to comfort.

And GOOD LUCK! I have a feeling it will go better than you think!

I found dad to be the biggest help when partial weaning, no boobies to cry for with him.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Thank you so much! We are starting this Tuesday night as that is Dad's "Friday". I'll keep you posted!

Smile Re: leaving 18mo for 10 days- wean? Getting touched out.

I just wanted to let you all know I never ended up night weaning. I had DH read the info the night before and he asked me if I was sure I wanted to do this and the answer was no. I just wasn't ready. I'm tired but I love the closeness at nighttime. I guess I will bring the pump on the trip and hope I don't get mastitis LOL. The pump doesn't work so well on me anymore. Thanks for your support.