Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH Handling a Feeding

Default DH Handling a Feeding

Our LO will be 4 weeks next week, so DH will handle one feeding at night. To let me sleep more and to have bonding time with our LO. I hope to start pumping right after the morning BFing session. I feed on one breast per session, so I am guessing I will just pump the other breast. Anyways, I am wondering - when DH feeds LO with the bottle, do I need to pump at the same time to relieve my breast? I hope not because that defeats one of the reasons for DH to feed her.

Default Re: DH Handling a Feeding

yes, you need to pump when baby misses a nursing session. And yes it defeats the purpose which is why its so much easier to cosleep
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I hate disagreeing with Jenna- but I think you can potentially skip a feeding/pumping session if:
    - You plan to incorporate the pumping and the nightly bottle into your routine every night (otherwise you might run into trouble with not having enough milk when you try to nurse instead of bottle-feeding)
    - Your supply is very abundant (and if you only do single-sided feedings, it probably is)
    - You're not prone to engorgement or plugged ducts

I do think it's typically easier to co-sleep and nurse than to try to skip feedings! If you go ahead with the bottle plan, just be cautious and be prepared to set it aside if it doesn't work for you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I hate disagreeing with Jenna- but I think you can potentially skip a feeding/pumping session if:
    - You plan to incorporate the pumping and the nightly bottle into your routine every night (otherwise you might run into trouble with not having enough milk when you try to nurse instead of bottle-feeding)
    - Your supply is very abundant (and if you only do single-sided feedings, it probably is)
    - You're not prone to engorgement or plugged ducts

I do think it's typically easier to co-sleep and nurse than to try to skip feedings! If you go ahead with the bottle plan, just be cautious and be prepared to set it aside if it doesn't work for you.
    Ya think? At 4 weeks? I personally have a supply that regulates a lot depending on when I nurse which goes for your argument but I know my supply would dip at 4 weeks if I skipped a night session.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I agree about half and half w/ Jenna and mommal.

With my first, I was diligent to the point of neuroticism (sp?) about pumping every time he ate. I had oversupply, but it didn't really bother me that much.

With my daughter, my oversupply is worse. I've gotten a plugged duct. My freezer and my parents' extra freezer is full. So I've scaled back on my pumping at work, and sometimes if we go out to dinner, I'll nurse before and then when I get home, but I won't pump to make up for the bottle she took while I was gone.

To be on the safe side, I'd maybe pump the other breast right after nursing her the time before she'll be getting a bottle.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I did exactly what the poster is suggesting and it worked fine for me. However co-sleeping is alot easier. Bottles and pumps are just a pain if you dont need them.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I'm in between the 2 ladies above as well. If your supply is okay and you don't have any issues at all, you should be okay not pumping. But if you have any issues at all, 4 weeks is still a very tender time in your production establishment (IMO).

Try it once, see how you are when you wake up. Are you engorged? Any red / painful lumps? Leaking? Do you have over active let down when you finally do nurse? If you have any issues at all, I probably wouldn't continue missing feedings without pumping.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I'm in between the 2 ladies above as well. If your supply is okay and you don't have any issues at all, you should be okay not pumping. But if you have any issues at all, 4 weeks is still a very tender time in your production establishment (IMO).

Try it once, see how you are when you wake up. Are you engorged? Any red / painful lumps? Leaking? Do you have over active let down when you finally do nurse? If you have any issues at all, I probably wouldn't continue missing feedings without pumping.
    I read your post closer and your baby is only three weeks actually huh. I still think that is super early to risk it and really who knows how much extra sleep you'll get anyway.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

you will be amazed at how much sleep you do get when you co-sleep
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Ya think? At 4 weeks? I personally have a supply that regulates a lot depending on when I nurse which goes for your argument but I know my supply would dip at 4 weeks if I skipped a night session.
    I totally agree that it's sort of a risky proposition, in terms of supply and the possibility of plugged ducts or engorgement... I just don't think it's a guaranteed bad idea. I personally wouldn't do it, precisely because of the reasons above and because co-sleeping is generally so much easier! But on the other hand, not everyone feels comfortable co-sleeping or can make co-sleeping work, and some people do introduce a bottle fairly early and have it work out. It's just one of those "If you do it, be careful, go slow, be prepared to reverse course" situations.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"