Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not producing enough milk. AT WITS END!

Unhappy Not producing enough milk. AT WITS END!

So my son is now 4 weeks old. I have only producing about 50-60% of what he demands. I have spoke to my Dr. At first I was having trouble with blocked milk ducts. Than I remedied that issue and began to produce more. Than I began producing less and less milk. I pumped like it was going out of style, let him feed until he passed out and then pumped what he didn't finish. It seems the more I pump, the less I produce. Now my milk duct in my left breast is blocked again. I practice good hygiene, and change my breast pads frequently (obsessively). I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I didn't have this issue at all with my first, or second child. In fact, I was able to pump and store milk with my first two. This is my fourth child. I even consulted my Dr. and she prescribed me Reglan. It didn't help. Neither did brewers yeast, beer, wine, or Mother's Milk tea. I am totally stressed which I know is not helping the issue. I am totally desperate and will do anything to produce enough to feed my baby. Please help. Thank you, Kimberly

Default Re: Not producing enough milk. AT WITS END!

Hi, and welcome! And congratulations on your new little guy.

Are you using lecithin already to combat your plugged ducts? That can help. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html

Are you making sure to eat enough? Not reducing calories or fat or protein? Drinking enough fluids? Getting enough rest (well, with a baby, probably not, but resting as much as you can?)

I'm sure others will be along shortly with more suggestions for you.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Hi! Congrats on your new baby! It sounds so stressful.

What kind of pump are you using?

How many wet/dirty diapers is your baby producing in a 24 hour period?

You need to remedy the blocked duct for sure. Have you tried dangle nursing?

Here's a link on increasing milk supply: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; May 8th, 2011 at 11:12 PM.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Are you nursing at all or just pumping? How oftern and for how long are you pumping? What type of pump? Can you just let baby nurse? NOTHING is better for supply then a frequently nursing baby. How are the wet and dirty diapers? How much does he weigh? Are you using formula, if so when and how much?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK