Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO Getting "lost"??

Default LO Getting "lost"??

OK; so I need some help.
    Every once in a while I have a really great nursing session where my little guy latches on really well within seconds and just goes right at it. I probably have like one of them a day on most days.
    Most of the feedings however are ridiculously hard...like, I can see him opening his mouth wide and making "the hungry cry" ect and when I try and pop him on he just fights and resists and like looks off in the other direction. I almost have to wrestle him onto the breast because it's like he can't tell where it is or something. I know he isn't blind or anything like that because he responds to visual stimuli but its like he literally is just lost as could be. & then once I get him on he will unlatch & relatch here and there and I have to struggle to get him back on again, he PANICS sometimes when he unlatches as well because its like he thinks my boob has disappeared! Sometimes he has his eyes closed during the unlatch and relatch lol but otherwsie it is just really confusing. I am wondering if he is having some vision problems but I put him to my breast and he can feel it and everything so I don't understand if that's the case on that level. He just turned 6 months old today if that makes any difference. This is just getting really hard and I'm worried sometimes I can't even get him to latch at all because he can't find it (I think???), and then will get so angry/scared that he works himself into a major state and I just hand him to Dad for some expressed milk bc I can't get him to calm down by any means elsewise. Whats happening-any ideas? How can I help him?
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Default Re: LO Getting "lost"??

Have you tried brushing your nipple against his cheek, nose or lips? Sometimes that helps my ds "focus"
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Default Re: LO Getting "lost"??

Yes...even tried popping it right in his mouth
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply